We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Brianna
Just Said Yes August 2021

Engagement photos

Brianna, on June 4, 2020 at 2:52 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 11
Saved Save
I get married august 2021 and we have been engaged for almost 2 years. I really want to get them done in a couple months. However I’m unsure if the time line for engagement photos. Please help

11 Comments

• Mrs. S
    Super November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    There’s no timeline, do them whenever you want. Sometimes people want a certain season or location. Or if you want them on your save the dates you need enough time to have them edited and printed before you want to send them out.
  • Jana
    Rockstar June 2023
    Jana ·
    • Flag

Do you have a photographer lined up? They could give you info on how it works and when to take them.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

If you want to use them for invitations and save the dates, that would be nice to do them sooner than later

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Have you booked your wedding photographer yet? Many packages include an engagement session.

If you plan on using your engagement photos for your save the dates, then you would just want to make sure you take them in enough time to get them back for those. Otherwise, there is no set time when you have to take them. We got engaged in November but did not take our engagement photos until March because I wanted spring blooms!

• Ashshaw2022
    Dedicated May 2022
    Ashshaw2022 ·
    • Flag
    I would do them in the fall and send them out with your Christmas cards kill 2 birds with one stone
  • Brianna
    Just Said Yes August 2021
    Brianna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes I’ve booked my photographer but I honestly am scared of stepping on my future mother in laws toes since she gets married this year too. I want summer because that’s when I’m normally the healthiest.
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Why would taking engagement photos step on your FMIL's toes? You can get your engagement photos made without taking away any of her spotlight. I would reach out to your photographer and ask about scheduling an engagement session. Let him/her know you want summer photos.

• Dayna
    Expert March 2021
    Dayna ·
    • Flag

We did ours exactly one year before our wedding date (it was kind of just a coincidence but it was cute). Once we had the photos back we pretty much immediately ordered Save the Dates so they could go out 10 months before our wedding with our photo on them. If you want to use your photos on STDs or Invitations you should do them sooner rather than later. It takes a few weeks to get back edited photos, plus a few weeks to print and ship stationary. If you don't plan on using them for stationary, you can do them whenever you want. Getting them taken shouldn't offend your FMIL. Just don't post them all online the day of her wedding or anything.

• Janieva
    Dedicated November 2021
    Janieva ·
    • Flag
    I had the same dilemma, we got engaged in November 2018 and our wedding is November 2020. I decided to get my engagement photos done in March 2019. I'm happy I did it when I did since we used some of the photos for out Save the dates. But I agree with other commentators, there is no proper timeline. It 100% up to you!
  • Rhiamae
    Devoted February 2021
    Rhiamae ·
    • Flag
    I got my engagement photos taken as soon as I got engaged, it was the best decision I ever made, and our family loved seeing the photos.
  • Tori
    Dedicated October 2021
    Tori ·
    • Flag

We got engaged last September and our wedding is next October. We scheduled our engagement session in November so we can have them back in time to send out our Save the Dates in either February or March. It's really up to you and how you plan to use them. If you want them for your Save the Dates or invites, make sure you schedule your session with plenty of time for your photographer to edit them. Or if you just want to get them done, just cause, do it whenever you'd like!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles