Jo
Dedicated March 2020

Drive time

Jo, on October 14, 2019 at 5:14 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 17
Saved Save
How far is too far to drive from a church ceremony to a reception?

17 Comments

• MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD Online ·
    • Flag

The farthest I've driven personally is 20 minutes from ceremony to reception. I've been to two weddings with 30 minute drives but they provided transportation for guests.

• Jeanie
    Super February 2020
    Jeanie ·
    • Flag

I personally wouldn't go over 20 minutes, maybe 30 at most. But I also understand that some people are attached to both their church and a certain venue. If it's a long drive, you are going to have a lot of people skip the ceremony. To me, that would be really upsetting as the ceremony is the whole reason you're having the reception. I also think it's a lot to ask of people to take all that extra time out of their day, as usually the reception doesn't start exactly the amount of time it takes to drive after the ceremony ends. That means your guests will now need to leave their homes earlier and be away longer, which can pose difficulties with childcare and even getting to the ceremony on time, if at all. Then there's considering transportation of the wedding party. It's going to cost more to transport people further distances and gives more chances for getting stuck in traffic and whatnot. To me, there really aren't any benefits to having a long drive time and will only make more complications for your guests and yourself.

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy Online ·
    • Flag

No more than 30 minutes. I would prefer a lot less, but I would go that far, if I was attending.

• Jo
    Dedicated March 2020
    Jo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you for bringing all of these points up! I didn’t think to consider a lot of it. As crazy as it sounds, I’m okay if people skip my ceremony and just got to the reception. As long as me and my FH are there I’m happy lol. His mom wants us to use her church and we really don’t want to, but with the Catholic Church it can be difficult to find others. There’s one we both have a connection to that’s about 10 minutes further so I just wanted to know what was too far. I’m glad you brought up the other issues though and I’ll talk to my FH about it!
  • Katie
    Devoted November 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Farthest I drove was 45 min and I thought that was pushing it. Mines 25 min and it might be a little far but I guess when you are from a small town and dont have many options your guest will have to travel! 😂
  • Jo
    Dedicated March 2020
    Jo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    What was the transportation provided for? Was it from hotels to the ceremony then to the reception so people don’t have to drive at all? Or just from ceremony to reception? That seems like it would not make as much sense lol
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Either hotel to venue or hotel to ceremony to reception (if there were two venues). I don't think it's a huge deal if the area has uber/lyft but if it's 30+ minutes that can be an expensive ride for sure.

• Megan
    Devoted March 2021
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    I agree with most, no more than 20-30 minutes, I just want to start the party not drive after the ceremony!
  • Katelyn
    Savvy June 2020
    Katelyn ·
    • Flag
    I think it just depends on your area. I’m from a small town, so if someone wanted to use their church for a ceremony and a venue for a reception, it could easily take 30 min to get to the nearest venue. I would consider though, if you think the drive may be pushing the line, have food and everything ready so when guests get there they can start eating right away. So that if some do skip the ceremony, or if some people take longer to get to the venue from the ceremony than others there isn’t a whole lot of dead time. I was at a wedding once where the bride and groom were having pictures at the ceremony site, and everyone was at the venue waiting. We waited at least an hour. After awhile people started getting kind of cranky. Luckily their DJ showed up and got things moving a little bit!
  • Jordana
    Devoted April 2020
    Jordana ·
    • Flag
    I would say anything over 30 minutes! Our ceremony & reception locations are about 30 minutes apart (thanks to Cali traffic lol)
  • Jackie
    Dedicated October 2020
    Jackie ·
    • Flag

Mine is 40 minutes. Sucks but also I'm having a catholic ceremony so there's the "catholic gap" so either way people have to wait around for cocktail hour lol

• M
    Savvy July 2020
    Mitten State Bride ·
    • Flag
    Our commute from church to reception venue will be 30 min. Hopefully. It is MI, and summer is construction season lol
  • Anna
    Savvy August 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Me too! My ceremony is at 12:30 but my cocktail hour isn’t until 6. Have to leave an hour for travel time as well as enough time for photos before cocktail.
  • Jo
    Dedicated March 2020
    Jo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ours will be about 40 also because there’s no Catholic Churches in the area that would allow us to get married there without being married for 12-18 months. Im a bit worried but I figured if people don’t want to drive they won’t and I’m totally ok with people just going to the reception. The people that want to see me get married will be there. Now I’m concerned about The drive during a Michigan winter😬😬
  • Nicole
    Super September 2020
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

Ours is 30 minutes.... so I'm telling myself thats not too far lol

• L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I think 30 minutes maximum.

• W-K
    Super October 2019
    W-K ·
    • Flag

Agree with 30 mins. Ours was 20 but that was only due to traffic. We also had a 60 minute gap between our ceremony and our reception because we weren't doing a formal cocktail hour.

Comment on this discussion