Tameka
Just Said Yes August 2021

Dress shopping

Tameka, on October 23, 2020 at 8:55 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 14
Saved
How far in advance did you all start shopping for your dresses?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Eri, on October 28, 2020 at 2:56 AM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I bought my dress around 8-9 months before my wedding. I suggest buying it at least 8 months ahead of time, to give time for shipping and alterations.
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    I started shopping a little over a year out & purchased my dress about 11 months out.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

I said "yes to the dress" one year prior. I was quoted a 7-8 month production time so I wanted to be on the safe side to allow enough time for alterations. If your wedding is in August 2021, then I would suggest starting sooner rather than later

• C
    Master January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    We only had a 54 week engagement.
    I stared looking just under a year out and bought 11 months before. I bought off the rack so it didn’t matter how early I bought. I was worried about having to order and it coming in on time
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I got mine almost a year before
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma ·
    • Flag
    9 months out! I found mine at the first bridal boutique I went to. It came in about 4 months before the wedding but I still had to take it in for alterations.
  • Ingrid
    VIP October 2020
    Ingrid ·
    • Flag
    I purchased my wedding dress 3 years before our wedding because I knew what I wanted and it wasn't in production anymore so I had to buy it off the rack.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We got engaged July’19, set the date of 4/3/21 & bought my dress June’20. The boutique I purchased it from is one of those, once you buy it, you walk out the door with it. Scheduling alterations mid January.
  • J
    Master 0000
    Judith ·
    • Flag
    4 1/2 months. Only a 5 month engagement, May to October. A Maggie Sottero, from Madeleine's Daughter in Portsmouth NH.
  • Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag

I got my dress almost 6 months ago so a little over a year in advance.

• Rachel
    Super June 2022
    Rachel ·
    • Flag

My wedding is in June 2022 and I plan to start looking at least a year prior. With Covid, etc., I was advised by the boutiques I'm going to to start looking sooner than later because of possible delays. Because most gowns take at least 8 months to be made, you want to plan accordingly to be on the safe side and allow for alterations, etc. before your big day. The sooner, the better! Smiley smile

• Amber
    Devoted January 2022
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I started looking in July of this year for my January 2022 wedding. I went to a couple of shops and found one I’m planning on ordering. They recommended waiting until March-April to order it since my size tends to fluctuate.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    I starter 14 months before my big wedding and ended up finding it at the 2nd boutique I went to
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

I bought mine 14 months out, pre-COVID. As others have said, if you plan on going to a shop where you'll be ordering a new dress, you really want to look about a year out if possible.

I ended up with a sample sale, so it sat in storage for months until I started alterations (3-4 months out), but that's more of an exception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics