We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Trista
Just Said Yes September 2021

Dress shopping

Trista, on June 2, 2020 at 9:45 AM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save
When do you start shopping for the dress my wedding is 479 days away

19 Comments

• Michelle
    Devoted May 2021
    Michelle
    • Flag

It can take a dress on average 4-6 months to arrive. 6-8 weeks for alterations. It took me 2 months to find the right dress. Dress orders are delayed due to covid. I would purchase 10-12 months before the wedding date.

• Trista
    Trista
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I plan on going in october this year
  • Michelle
    Devoted May 2021
    Michelle
    • Flag

That鈥檚 perfect. No harm at all in looking now and getting an idea of what kind of dress you want/like. I was surprised what I ended up with. 馃槉 have fun!

• Margaret
    Super October 2020
    Margaret
    • Flag

I started actually physically shopping in February for our October wedding. I did not purchase my dress from a boutique as it was the start of Covid and was told at that point it could be up to 9 months for delivery (6-months on average for most dresses).

• Trista
    Trista
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I've been looking since the day he proposed lol which was a year ago so I have an idea, i just hope this covid thing calms down more by oct
  • Michelle
    Devoted May 2021
    Michelle
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Agree. If it doesn鈥檛, go a bit earlier. I panicked at covid, and order the MOH dress. Normally it鈥檚 a 6 week order, but it鈥檚 been 10 weeks now and no dress. Glad I still have 5 months to go, but may be postponed anyway. Better safe than sorry I guess lol

• Michelle
    Devoted May 2021
    Michelle
    • Flag

You could also look at trunk shows in your area, save money and see the whole collection 馃槉

• Trista
    Trista
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Right good luck, hope everything works out for you
  • Chelsea
    Devoted July 2021
    Chelsea
    • Flag
    My wedding is next July and I鈥檓 going to my first dress appointment In the middle of June. Figured give myself time to try on different styles and ideas and look around and than book the dress when I decide that way. I鈥檓 also worried about a second wave in the fall so I wanted to start looking in case shops close again in a couple months.
  • Trista
    Trista
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I really hope we dont get a second wave, hopefully the country has something better figured out if there is another wave
  • Martha
    Devoted October 2022
    Martha
    • Flag

I have not yet set a date in stone we are still figuring it out, I'm ready to go dress shopping as soon as covid slows dramatically since I want my mom to attend. I'm ready to try on styles and dresses and maybe find THE ONE.

From the awesome advise everyone has given on alterations and dress orders I think going sooner than later would help, I would feel less pressure and stressed out too.

• Trista
    Trista
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Me to, but I'm gonna wait till oct
  • Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan
    • Flag

The suggest ordering your dress 9-10 months before your wedding date. This allows time for your dress to arrive and for you to have alterations done.

• Elizabeth
    Rockstar June 2021
    Elizabeth
    • Flag

I'm going to start at the beginning of Sept. for our late June wedding. Then I have time to try on dresses at multiple places, be indecisive like I always am, and still get it in on time.

• Alexis
    Beginner March 2021
    Alexis
    • Flag

I have always heard 9-12 months is ideal. I started gathering dress ideas around 13 months or so. My wedding is March 6th, 2021 and due to COVID-19, I haven't even tried dresses on. I'm scheduled to go on June 13th though.

• Laquita
    Devoted July 2021
    Laquita
    • Flag

Everyone has told me to go sooner rather than later in order to gather ideas on what looks good on me, as our wedding isn't until late July 2021 I was going to start looking September, but judging by these comments I guess I can start mid-June. I think some stores have begun to reopen & there's this new bridal shop around the corner from me that I really wanted to see what they have. If I can, I will do local as I'd rather not travel so far to find something.

• Hilenny
    Beginner July 2022
    Hilenny
    • Flag
    My wedding is 412 days away. Maybe you can start the way I did. I looked at what types of dresses I liked. Before covid I actually went to David鈥檚 Bridal to try on different styles and see what silhouette fits me best. I had an appointment to actually shop and find a dress but sadly it got canceled. I don鈥檛 think there鈥檚 a specific time frame honestly. But I feel that the earlier the better but just wait on alterations.

I have a friend who actually got her dress two years before her wedding date.
  • Virginia
    Beginner August 2020
    Virginia
    • Flag

The earlier the better. Especially if you're not sure of your style. Also don't limit yourself based on your "vision" I tried on multiple styles and was very surprised by ones that I didn't think I would like. The more time you have to try on and make sure its actually the one you want the better! I found "the one" on my first trial but I am extremely indecisive and tried on multiple more and tried that one on three different times to make sure it was the dress I wanted.

• Kate
    Dedicated August 2020
    Kate
    • Flag
    10-12 months is perfect, especially with boutique shopping. Delivery times will be a little longer than usual for awhile as things slowly return to normal, so IMO it鈥檚 never too early!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles