Alma
Expert October 2020

Dress Shopping 馃泹

Alma, on August 9, 2019 at 2:01 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 18
Saved
My wedding date is October, 2020. When is he perfect time to start gown shopping?? I don鈥檛 wanna go too early because I don鈥檛 want my dress to sit in my closet for months!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Sara, on August 9, 2019 at 11:12 PM
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam
    • Flag
    8-10 months from your wedding date, maybe a year if you鈥檙e worried about a dress you want to try on no longer being available.
  • Tamera
    Expert May 2020
    Tamera
    • Flag

I don't think its ever to early to start looking or trying stuff on! It also gives you time to visit a few different boutiques/stores. I think the earlier the better, because then you can also plan for alterations appointments if you need more than one. My dress took 6 months after I ordered it, and then alterations take another 1-2 months. And usually the boutique or seamstress can hold onto it until you pick it up before the wedding.

• Futuremrsm
    Expert October 2020
    Futuremrsm
    • Flag
    I'm October 2020 too and I already got my dress! Ordered it in January and it still hasn't arrived yet. I figure by the time I have my fittings and stuff it'll be ready in time
  • Stefanie
    Beginner January 2020
    Stefanie
    • Flag

It's never too early! But, also, the earlier you shop... the more likely you are to find a deal. Our engagement will only be five months at the end of it...which was shorter than dress ordering time. I had a shopping day planned with my mom, FMIL, and best friends and as I was researching which stores I wanted to go to...one of them that I had been to before for my best friends dress (and wanted to go to) was an off the rack and they were having a sample sale two days before my scheduled dress day. Their normally $1000-$4500 dresses would all be on sale for $200-$1000 dollars. So, we went to just that store that day and I found my dress (Essence of Australia and so so so beautiful with only a hemline alteration needed) normally $2500; I got it for $1000.

• Anna
    Super August 2020
    Anna
    • Flag

My wedding is August 2020 and I ordered my dress in May. Should arrive in the new year. It's time to star looking.

• Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan
    • Flag
    Your dress should be ordered 10 months before the wedding to allow time for it to arrive and allow you time for alterations.
  • Lara
    Devoted October 2019
    Lara
    • Flag

It is pretty far in advance, but if you want to - go for it. Just be careful to not keep looking at dresses after you've ordered one. If you do you might come across a dress you love more.

• Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That鈥檚 exactly my concern. Haha
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you Meghan Smiley smile I will start looking around the November i think!
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    How exciting !!! 馃馃馃
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Wow that鈥檚 amazing ! I have been eyeing the essence of Australia gowns as well!
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That鈥檚 awesome ! I got engaged in April and all I鈥檝e done is book the venue lol
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    That makes sense! I think I will start November. I haven鈥檛 tried on any dresses at all and have no remote idea of how I will look in one!
  • Meghan
    Master October 2019
    Meghan
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    You鈥檙e welcome! That will give you plenty of time. I鈥檓 getting married this October. I began looking in December of 2018 and purchased my dress in January of 2019. I have 1 alterations appointment left, so my timing as worked out perfectly.
  • Kaitlyn
    Savvy October 2021
    Kaitlyn
    • Flag
    I鈥檓 in the same boat! I wanna try stuff on NOW but I also wanna lose a dress size first lol but I also want enough time for alterations. When鈥檚 your date?! I鈥檓 10/23/20
  • Alma
    Expert October 2020
    Alma
    • Flag
    Mines on the 16th! A week before yours and on a Friday as well 馃槅. When do you plan to start looking for sure ?
  • Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine
    • Flag

I'm August 2020 and I'm getting my dress custom made. I'm hoping to get production started by October and it'll take about 3-5 months time. Once I get it, I'll still have plenty of time for any alterations I may need so I guess it would depend. Some people genuinely just want to buy them as early as possible especially in the case that some of the dresses are discontinued if they waited too long. It's ultimately a personal decision.

• Sara
    Expert October 2019
    Sara
    • Flag
    I went dress shopping about a year before my wedding. I had the dress salon hold onto my dress until my wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics