Haylie
Dedicated October 2021

Dress Backup Plan?

Haylie, on April 13, 2021 at 2:36 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 4
Saved
I ordered my wedding dress July 2020, and it came in December 2020. During that try-on, the top of the dress felt huge on me, and she had to pull it back and up in places to show how it would look once we got the alterations. So I’m already nervous about how that is going to work out.
In addition to that, since January I have been on a fitness journey to try to be healthier and have lost 30 pounds. Obviously I’m still working on losing more but it’s a gradual process.
However, I was just diagnosed with PCOS , and my doctor wants me to make an even stricter lifestyle change and be on medication that, in theory, would make it easier to lose weight. I was already concerned with how my dress would fit as it was already baggy in areas before I started losing weight and now I’m even more worried about how it will be come my first fitting in August. I’m so worried that my dress will be too big that my seamstress woudnt be able to bring it in enough in some areas 😅. Has any other bride dealt with this or is currently worried about the same thing ? I’m just so scared I’ll need to find a new dress last minute ! Ive added a few pictures to show the sleeves, back, and the top, which is why I’m worried it would be difficult to bring in during an alteration. Dress Backup Plan? 1
Dress Backup Plan? 2
Dress Backup Plan? 3
Dress Backup Plan? 4

4 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on April 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    Stuff, beautiful dress! I especially love the illusion sleeves! I think if you’re actively trying to continue to lose weight, it might be a lot for your seamstress to work with, but I’ve seen more extreme alterations done here on WeddingWire. I just saw one post on here where someone was able to alter a dress down like 10 sizes, so I think even if you lose another 10 or so pounds, it shouldn’t be too bad and they should be able to work with your dress.
  • CountryBride
    VIP April 2022
    CountryBride ·
    • Flag
    It’s easier to take a dress in then out the average wedding dress can be taken in 4-5 sizes. I’m worried about the same thing I’m on a journey to health and worried I will loose too much weight
  • Sara
    Expert August 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    Go to a seamstress asap and see what they say. I lost a bunch of weight not even thinking that my dress won't fit. I took it to several seamstresses and alterations would cost me more than I paid for the dress! So I ended up being able to return my old dress and get a new one. But don't wait!!!!!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

I've also seen seamstresses do some incredible things, but I agree with Sara - don't wait!!

Since you already have your dress I'd try it on now and get an alterations appointment so you can discuss your concerns about weight loss and this dress to see what they think!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics