Skip to main content
A
Beginner October 2017

Dogs as ring bearer and flower girl

Amanda, on September 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 15
Saved

Hi y'all! I want to use my 2 dogs as our ring bearer and flower girl as they are our babies!! I am trying to figure out, though, who will walk them down the aisle, and how can I use a ring bearer pillow which was given to me by my 2nd momma (the only heirloom wedding piece I have). I have 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen. Does anyone have any advice?

15 Comments

Latest activity by MrsMtobe, on September 7, 2017 at 3:36 PM
  • Michelle
    Beginner September 2018
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I've seen the first bridesmaid walk the flower girl and the last with the ring bearer. I could imagine sowing a elastic band to hold the rings and put it on the dog like a collar.

• A
    Beginner October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

They are calm and know mostly everyone invited. They will be fine during the ceremony. Thanks for the tips! I was also trying to figure out what to do with them during the reception. Pet sitter may work

• C&N
    Super October 2017
    C&N ·
    • Flag

Are you certain none of your guests are allergic?

• VC
    Super April 2018
    VC ·
    • Flag

First of all, please make sure your dogs are people and crowd friendly before even considering this. It could end badly. And you don't want that.

Then, I would suggest asking your wedding party if they would be comfortable walking them down the aisle and holding onto them for the duration of your wedding. Or do you have somewhere for these dogs to go during your ceremony?

You could have someone leash the dog and have the BP member grab a couple of treats to keep the doggy entertained, and have them walk down the aisle like that.... but whoever you choose, make sure they are 100% comfortable with your dogs and have walked them before and know what to do and how to constrain them should they act up.

• A
    Beginner October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Regarding being allergic: Everyone who knows us knows our pets. They go everywhere with us, and everyone loves them. If they will just be at the ceremony, which is outdoors, I don't foresee that being an issue as none of my guests have expressed concern before.

• Events By Jenny
    September 2018
    Events By Jenny ·
    • Flag

I wish I could get my little girl to be my ring bearer, or just walk down the aisle in a cute white dress in general but she loves every single person she comes across so I know she will just get super excited and want to say HIII to each row she passes lol.

I agree with Michelle just sew or clip it to a band to wrap around your pup and have them be walked down with one of the bridal party!

• A
    Beginner October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Her saying hi to everyone would be the most adorable part! You should do it!! Thanks for the advice!

• A
    Beginner October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Thanks Penny! I appreciate all the advice and hadn't thought my idea was being bashed at all. Please know, I did not enter this lightly. They are trained and behave themselves in large crowds. I'm confident in their behavior. I'm just down to the part of the planning for the progression and ring bearer pillow and I got stumped. Smiley smile

• Jaclyn
    Super September 2018
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag

You know your dogs. If you take them out in crowds regularly and socialize them they will be fine.

Are they scared of loud noises? Storms? Fireworks? If not, they should be okay.

Both of my dogs will be in the ceremony.. and I personally take both of my dogs everywhere! Literally everywhere.. I am that dog mom. I even take them to work events.. from nascar events to diesel trucks. So I know they are good with the loud noises and huge crowds.

As long as you know your dogs, don't worry about it!

Maybe have a bridesmaid and a groomsman who are comfortable handling the dogs walk out with them first.. that's the best thing I can think of. I wouldn't have them walk down without anyone holding on to a leash. And when it comes to the pillow maybe figure out a way to tie it around the dogs Neck?

• A
    Beginner October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Thanks Jaclyn! Aside from the grocery store, they go everywhere with us too. I'm proud of my lil furballs and I cannot imagine getting married without our babies there. I appreciate your advice!!

• Nicole
    Expert September 2018
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

My only advice would be to make sure no one ends up 'working' your wedding by being responsible for the dogs at all during the wedding. It just isn't fair to your guests when they are there to just enjoy and celebrate! I think a PP's idea of a pet sitter is awesome. Even if you just hire someone to grab them after their walk up the aisle and take them home.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

We have lots of dogs in our weddings; we encourage it. To make it easier, we recommend four companies of dog sitters and dog hotels. The dogs usually stay through the ceremony and part of the cocktail hour and then are whisked away. It works perfectly..

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·
    • Flag

We have lots of dogs in our weddings; we encourage it. To make it easier, we recommend four companies of dog sitters and dog hotels. The dogs usually stay through the ceremony and part of the cocktail hour and then are whisked away. It works perfectly..

• A
    Beginner October 2017
    Amanda ·
    • Flag

Perfect! Thank you!

• MrsMtobe
    Devoted December 2017
    MrsMtobe ·
    • Flag

A harness might work better than clipping it to a collar. It won't slide around as much.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics