T
Devoted May 2021

Do you shop around for dress alteration?

Trinity, on March 10, 2020 at 12:00 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 8
Saved

Hello Brides,

I got my dress last week for my October wedding. The shop I got my dress from does alteration, and they say I can't schedule an appointment until July. I was wondering did you ladies shop around for the best price or do you just go to the one they offered?

Thank you!

8 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on March 10, 2020 at 7:35 PM
  • Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

I just googled seamstresses in my area and chose one with really good reviews. Some reviews mentioned fair pricing, so I just decided I'd pay whatever she told me it would be. Getting prices from multiple places would probably require consultations where they actually see you in the dress. To me, that would be a lot of time and effort lol

• Tamera
    Expert May 2020
    Tamera ·
    • Flag

I used the seamstress that worked with my bridal shop. It was easy, because I was able to do my first fitting at the bridal shop, and I didn't notice that it was any more than I was expecting to pay. And I didn't have to worry about traveling with my dress to various locations, as they transported it to the seamstress' location for alterations.

• Kayla
    Devoted November 2020
    Kayla ·
    • Flag

I'll be getting mine done though my bridal shop. Not only because its more convenient (I'm already driving 2 hours to get there), but also because it was in the contract for my dress that I had to use their in house seamstress.

• Renay
    Devoted April 2020
    Renay ·
    • Flag

I bought my gown at an off the rack store that does not do alterations. I called around to multiple shops in town, got a rough estimate of cost, found a lady who had a lot of experience and seemed sweet. I took my dress in Saturday and the woman doing the alterations is AMAZING. She was so kind and helpful, and I feel really good with my decision. I think shopping around is a good idea. The big bridal gown stores here would have cost twice as much for my alterations, and this seamstress has 30+ years of wedding gown experience.

• Maria
    Super October 2019
    Maria ·
    • Flag

I went to a place that had really good reviews but wished I had shopped around more because I overpaid and didn't have a great experience! Since you have the time, I think it's worth going to multiple places even though it's a hassle to try on your dress at all these locations.

• Don
    Super February 2021
    Don ·
    • Flag
    Hi Trinity,
    I think there's pros and cons, if you use your shop you don't have to haul the dress around with you, but you should compare pricing and check for independent seamstresses near you, I found a lady who's been altering wedding dresses for 30 years, and I just trust her more than the shop seamstress, and she is slightly cheaper! Can you post your dress?
  • Sophie
    Devoted June 2021
    Sophie ·
    • Flag
    I didn’t shop around and now I’m starting to regret it. My alterations are $524 for really standard stuff (taking up hem, sewing in cups, shortening straps, and making it tighter on top). I bet I could’ve gotten a better price if I looked a little more!
  • Brittany
    Dedicated June 2020
    Brittany ·
    • Flag
    I googled wedding seamstresses in my area and went with one that had great reviews. For me, it was worth it to not cut costs unnecessarily in way of alterations. My seamstress has met my expectations 100% btw and I recommend her to everyone near me!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics