Skip to main content
Jessica
Dedicated September 2019

Do people still give away centerpieces?

Jessica, on August 22, 2019 at 3:58 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 16
Saved

Do people actually still give away centerpieces? The outside of ours will be completely handmade by the groom, and stained by mother of the groom, and also expensive to make. Not looking to part with those - my sister is also getting married next year and would like to reuse them. FH wants to give them away though, so we are trying to compromise and give away the mason jar arrangements inside of the centerpieces. FH and I are extreme plant lovers, we have so so so so many plants and I don't think there's such a thing as too many plants (I enjoy all of the countless hours of caring for them so it's not a chore to me. We are not going on our honeymoon right away and I would love to surround myself with flowers from our beautiful wedding - maybe give some to parents and grandparents, but keep the rest. We are providing our guests with many treats such as favors, open bar, gift bags at check-in, late night snacks - but the flowers I just love and would love to do something for us. What do people normally do these days???

16 Comments

Latest activity by Kat_, on August 22, 2019 at 10:00 PM
  • Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

I'm not giving mine away- I plan on reselling our centerpieces. You could include a small note that says, "thank for sharing this evening with my mom and dad; but please me behind as I need to go home with them at the end of the night".

• Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think it’s the norm, a lot of people rent their centerpiece vases now. I’m giving mine away but no one expects it, I’ll have to actually tell people they can take them home.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

I've never seen that at a wedding (and hadn't until I read these forums) so at least not where I'm from (Denver & San Diego). We've been to about 10 weddings.

• Cyndy
    Master May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I don’t think it’s something you Wes to worry about. So many people rent them or resell them that people shout take them unless told to.
  • earias
    Champion December 2017
    earias ·
    • Flag

I had never heard of people giving away their centerpieces until these forums. We used garlands for our centerpieces and I gave some to my MIL and took the rest home to decorate my house. I had a few potted table Christmas trees that I gave to some of my friends who came to brunch the next day, but no one expected it and I did it to save room in my car.

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    I wasn't going to (we had glass terrariums I was going to resell) but so many people asked if they could have one I said sure, why not! I paid <$8 a piece so I didn't mind parting with some of them.
  • L
    Lady ·
    • Flag

I've never heard of people taking the centerpieces unless specifically told the should or could do so. I wouldn't worry about that unless it's a very common thing around you (I hope not!)

• Mrsbdg
    Champion August 2017
    Mrsbdg ·
    • Flag
    Lol nope a lot of the books in my centerpieces were from my personal collection of old medical books. My abuela took one of my succulents home but it was nbd. I haven’t seen giving away of the centerpieces in years
  • Sonya
    Dedicated February 2021
    Sonya ·
    • Flag
    The few I've known to give their centerpieces away were given to the Mother of the Bride and Mother of the Groom, maybe grandmothers.... I'm giving mine to my bridal party if they want them... my mom and MIL if they want it if not I'll use them.. they are decorative tall candle holders and lanterns we are making so I would use the lanterns as a out decorative piece with a plant in it or somthing and the candle holders inside.. I'm sure some will be taken home by a family member but not just anyone.
  • Cristy
    Master May 2021
    Cristy ·
    • Flag

I have been to weddings where they gave the centerpieces away. But it wasn't automatic. There was always an announcement to the guests that they encouraged to take the centerpiece. The weddings I've been to where they didn't make this announcement, the bride and groom took them home.

• Charlotte
    Dedicated August 2019
    Charlotte ·
    • Flag

I didn’t give mine away but I also didn’t keep the centerpieces. I just gave it back to our decorator even though we paid for most of the stuff. I didn’t know what to do with them. Now I see other ppl on here talking about reselling it. Boy do I feel like an idiot! 🤦🏾‍♀️

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag

We had 13 tables worth of fresh flower centerpieces in small glass vases (plus ceremony/Sweetheart table flower arrangements, bouquets, cocktail table centerpieces, etc.). There was no way daughter or I needed them all, so before the wedding, via email, we let daughter's local aunts know that they were more than welcome to take a centerpiece home. Three of her five BMs were in from out of town and staying with their parents, so we also invited them to take one home to their moms (the girls all grew up together and daughter knows & loves their moms). There were also some random people at the end of the reception that we encouraged to take one at the end of the night. We still ended up with more centerpieces & flowers than we could possibly need/use. Depending on what you are doing, you could end up with WAY more arrangements than you can use/enjoy, so giving them away is an option -- especially with fresh flowers.

• Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    I have been to many wedding where they gave away the centerpieces - it was usually done w/ the DJ & a $1 bill being passed around the table & who had the $1 when the DJ stopped got the centerpiece (reverse hot potato).
    However I haven't seen it in a while, but I’m still a bit concern that my family might try to take the centerpieces - which will be a problem as they aren’t ours lol.
  • D
    Super September 2019
    Dana ·
    • Flag
    I am giving mine away !!! People cannot take the vases because they are the florist but the centerpieces are gorgeous and they can take the actual top portion. I want for myself too. Will look awesome on my dining room table for a few days
  • O
    Dedicated November 2019
    Olivia ·
    • Flag

Considering a friend is lending us the entire amount plus extras of glass cylinders we need for centerpieces I don't want people taking them and plan to return them to her. I actually plan on using a little hot wax to "glue" them to the mirrors underneath. No one is going to want to pick up and carry water, glass stones, and flower filled glass cylinders of various sizes attached to a large mirror. The image of that is quite funny to me and someone would have to be very determined to take the whole thing.

• Kat_
    Super October 2019
    Kat_ ·
    • Flag
    We are donating all our florals to a children’s hospital 💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics