Ellie
Devoted January 2020

Do i need a Planner/coordinator?

Ellie, on August 11, 2019 at 9:36 PM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved

So I've been planning the wedding okay and have figured out most of the vendors though I still need a couple. However, now that my FH has decided (late in the game still love him though!) that he definitely wants a church wedding now which I've honestly been happy about thus far based on our experience with the Priest we met but of course this has thrown all previous plans out the window...and I'm now wondering if I would need a coordinator since the bulk of our guest list would be traveling from out of town into Washington DC. There's all sorts of issues with parking...timing and etc.

We have a coordinator for the hotel but I'm not sure about arranging transportation between the hotel/church and how to structure this all or if this will even work! So would you hire a coordinator in this case and if not how would you handle this? Has anyone done a church/venue wedding in a city with out of towners? How did you make things smooth as possible?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on November 24, 2019 at 6:11 PM
  • User2574599655703
    Dedicated June 2021
    User2574599655703 ·
    • Flag
    I would say yes if you can afford it. You don’t want to spend your wedding day acting as a glorified flight attendant (“Please take a seat,” “Please look here,” “Please put XXX here.”). I know friends who didn’t have coordinators and they were stressed out the entire time herding the guests around. Let someone else run the show, deal with hiccups and answer guests never ending questions. You may not need a full out planner, but I would highly recommend a day-of-coordinator.
  • D
    Super July 2020
    D ·
    • Flag
    A month of, week of, or day of coordinator would be very helpful to you. You could also choose a full planner but I don't think it's a necessity. I would price a month and week of coordinator first since you have so many OOT guests.
  • Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for your input! You described perfectly of what I'm afraid. I'm gonna look into this seriously!

• Ellie
    Devoted January 2020
    Ellie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to look into this. Seems like things went from somewhat managable to a little bit hectic with this change.

• Mallory
    Beginner April 2020
    Mallory ·
    • Flag

You can also hire a transportation company to manage the door to door service. They'll work with the church and the hotel to figure out what needs to happen and can hand off to the hotel from there.

That being said, you 100% should consider a day of coordinator just to mange the day and keep the trains moving if you will. These planners are worth their weight in gold. Don't take it for granted!! I have just transitioned to a new career, but I spent ten years as a professional event planner. You would not believe the amount of work it is. Let me know if you need any advice on who to hire! I know a few folks!

• Jessica
    Beginner September 2019
    Jessica ·
    • Flag

I would consider hiring a DOC for peace of mind and to organize your big day so that you don't have to worry! I worked with a wonderful DOC for my own wedding if you want to send me a message I can give you her contact information!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics