We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Courtney
Savvy November 2020

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :(

Courtney, on September 16, 2020 at 10:29 PM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 21
Saved Save

I am just not built for flower arranging I guess. If I could go back, I would choose no flowers at all for my centerpieces!! I feel like I have wasted a lot of money and am still not really happy with these. If anyone has any tips on what might make it better, please let me know. If you think I'm over thinking it, let me know too. I just feel it's a major thing guests will see and I'd hate for them to just be like 'wow that looks terrible' even if it is behind my back haha.

My original set up.

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 1

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 2

I felt the look I was going for was more based on bouquet designs on pinterest rather than centerpieces so I changed to this:

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 3

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 4

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 5

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 6

diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 7

I feel now that it's just hard to make the callas look natural, but they were the main reason I chose fake for centerpieces because I knew I couldn't get that blue color elsewhere.

Thoughts? Help? :/

21 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on September 24, 2020 at 9:18 PM
  • Kia
    Devoted September 2021
    Kia
    • Flag
    Are the ribbons around the vases removable? I feel like colors of the flowers look fine and mesh well together, it鈥檚 the ribbons that might be throwing it off
  • Michelle
    Expert May 2021
    Michelle
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree. The arrangement looks beautiful, and I love calla lilies 馃グ I think the ribbon around the vase is what needs some tweaks. Try removing it Igor you can easily, and post a new pic lol. Maybe one colour ribbon around the vase? Or a white ribbon? I would love to see more pictures with some tweaks!

Edit: maybe some baby鈥檚 breath Added in?

• A
    Super September 2020
    Alli
    • Flag
    The flowers are pretty!!!
    I personally would remove the red and blue ribbon on the vases- but this was probably time-consuming!
    Best wishes!
  • Sharonda
    Rockstar January 2021
    Sharonda
    • Flag
    I agree with everyone above. The updated arrangements are very pretty. What tips or videos did you use to make them look more like centerpieces than bouquets?

I think removing the colored ribbon and wrapping the vase with a white or ivory ribbon will make all the difference.
  • Courtney
    Savvy November 2020
    Courtney
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

The ribbon is removable. We placed it. The ribbons are dark orange and blue, even though the orange can look reddish. I liked the ribbon haha. I guess I'll have to think and probably just accept that I'm never going to be happy with them. Thanks for your insight!

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana
    • Flag
    They look great!
  • Courtney
    Savvy November 2020
    Courtney
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I am going to have to think on the ribbon. My mom, fiance, and I spent a lot of time on it and I'm not sure if I have it in me to do it all over haha. I like color but I guess maybe it is throwing too much color in there. I have a few not wrapped yet so I could see if I think it looks a lot different without ribbon or maybe get some white ribbon and play around.

• Corrin
    Dedicated October 2021
    Corrin Online
    • Flag

As others have mentioned, the arrangement itself looks really beautiful!

I don't think you need to get rid of the ribbons, just maybe lower the amount. If you have 2 or 3 I think it would look less chaotic and still have that accent of color from the flowers.

Amazing job!!

• Marabeth
    Devoted September 2021
    Marabeth
    • Flag
    I like the ribbons. I really the second setup with the smaller candle holders. If you like the ribbon, I would leave them. Maybe add some filler so it鈥檚 not the same two colors? I鈥檓 still working on my centerpieces and I鈥檓 not happy with any arrangement lol.
  • Sarah
    Super August 2021
    Sarah Online
    • Flag
    I think that maybe you should remove the ribbons or add more white flowers.
  • Katie
    Dedicated October 2021
    Katie
    • Flag
    Add some filler and more greenery. Eucalyptus is popular and beautiful. I think it needs more dimension from different height stems so filler should help. I personally don鈥檛 care for the ribbons but it sounds like you really do so just leave them 馃槉 or if you鈥檙e experimenting with the vases I鈥檇 try how one color looks on each alternating colors on tables or less ribbon instead of down the whole vase
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie
    • Flag

I think they're looking good! I definitely think adding more filler & greenery helped, and letting the arrangements loosen up!

I like Katie's experimentation idea - try mixing up a few different color combos / heights / or fullness or arrangements for variety!

• Courtney
    Savvy November 2020
    Courtney
    • Flag

Not sure why my replies aren't going through. This is my 3rd attempt.

I am wondering if more greenery (more of a true leaf) and white flowers at the base will create separation of the ribbon/callas so it doesn't look like too much as some people are thinking? I originally wanted eucalyptus but Hobby Lobby was out when I went. I will try to see if I can get some and play around.

The problem with removing the ribbon is threefold:

1. It will really hurt my mom and fiance's feelings as the ribbon was my mom's idea and they both did most of the wrapping.

Her inspiration:

15s3WEKYqa3X7W1PyMolCXuK5KwRsS2h2dH0lOHf

2. It is 2 long pieces - the orange and blue. So if you remove it, it is all coming off. The layers are not separate pieces. I am not sure if we tried to remove the glue and make it fewer layers if we'd end up ruining the ribbon and wasting it or wasting the swarovski accents.

3. I do like it haha. But I like a lot of color and I know I am the exception in that opinion. I appreciate everyone's thoughts so I know what others may be thinking, though.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I will continue to play around with them! Smiley smile

• Briana
    Savvy August 2022
    Briana
    • Flag

Here's my 2 cents - I like your calla's lifted up higher up in the vase. I would use a different filler than that pine looking stuff. It kind of clashes in my opinion with how bright everything else is. Some kind of brighter green filler could work better.

You could also add more white to it to offset/balance the colors here. It feels like everything kind of just blends in together. Try adding white to inside the vase and see what happens!

Here's my other idea - depending on how much you want to add to your centerpiece. Leave the vase. Remove the flowers. Add a white stone or something. Get a smaller vase and add the flowers. Skinnier neck so you need less "filler" - And just do 3 candles around it, instead of 4 by adding in the new vase. Odd numbers are also the way to go (in my opinion).

• Courtney
    Savvy November 2020
    Courtney
    • Flag
    So, found this greenery at Hobby Lobby.
  • Courtney
    Savvy November 2020
    Courtney
    • Flag
    Whoops didn't mean to send yet. My fiance now says too much greenery 馃槃. Thoughts?
    diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 8
    diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 9

• Katie
    Dedicated October 2021
    Katie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Love that greenery! But it鈥檚 a little too much and I would leave the greenery more towards the bottom and have the colorful flowers stand out at the top of that makes sense. You鈥檒l want to play around with placement until you get it quite how you want it but definitely move the flowers higher so they are really shown off!
  • Courtney
    Savvy November 2020
    Courtney
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am gonna drive myself crazy with this. 馃槃
    diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 10
    diy Flower Centerpieces - Not sure I'm happy with them :( 11
    ??
  • Katie
    Dedicated October 2021
    Katie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes awesome job! It looks so good!!!
  • Anna
    VIP October 2020
    Anna
    • Flag
    I think they both look gorgeous!! I love the different glasses/votives around the vase.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics