Carissa
Just Said Yes August 2022

diy Dj/music?

Carissa, on July 21, 2021 at 8:00 PM Posted in Planning 0 10
Saved
Did any other brides not hire a DJ or any sort of band or anything? I’m wanting to find out if it’s something I could get away with just renting speakers and doing it myself or if it’s worth the cost.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Bonnie, on July 22, 2021 at 10:46 AM
  • JM Sunshine
    JM Sunshine ·
    • Flag
    I will just say that a benefit to a DJ is that they announce and move events along (announcing grand entrance, dances, speeches, cake cutting, etc.). They also read the crowd and change music if dance floor looks "dull".
  • Sharonda
    Rockstar January 2021
    Sharonda ·
    • Flag
    I had a microwedding (only 20 people) with only a small amount of dancing, so I created my own playlists and did my own music. But if I had had a bigger wedding with more dancing and more of a party vibe, I most definitely would have gotten a DJ for the reasons JM mentioned above.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I have been a guest at weddings where the music was DIY and it bombed badly. Speakers from home didn’t work that well, the music chosen was not danceable. There was no way to switch over to music the crowd would respond to.
  • Colleen
    Savvy June 2021
    Colleen ·
    • Flag
    I did DIY music for an 80 person wedding it and it worked perfectly. We had people on the dance floor all night. I will say I had access to high quality equipment from my dad’s job, and I spent a lot of time on the playlist. I picked music I knew would get people dancing, and I worked hard to trim the songs, fade them out, etc. I also had someone acting as an MC which is important to have. A lot of people on here will act like it’s impossible to have DIY music where people do dance and party, but it is possible with some effort. I wouldn’t just throw a playlist together and hit shuffle.

I’ve personally been to weddings in years past where the DJ bombs, so I think it can go either way. I only didn’t do a DJ because I had a backyard wedding and didn’t feel a DJ was appropriate. If I had a larger indoor wedding I would’ve had one.
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    For our minimony we only used a playlist but it was only 35 guests. We hired a DJ for our upcoming reception
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    I think it depends on what your looking for. As others have said a DJ does more than just play music. They make announcements and keep the night moving but more importantly change things up when people aren’t dancing. It’s a lot of work to create a playlist that will keep people up and dancing and the sound system is key. If you plan on just using home speakers I think it won’t go well. I think a DJ is sooooo worth it.
  • Bonnie
    Beginner December 2021
    Bonnie ·
    • Flag
    My brother did that for his wedding. They had about 40 people there & had a friend MC/announce everyone My sis in law had
  • Carissa
    Just Said Yes August 2022
    Carissa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We’re having a smaller wedding, maybe 50-75 max. So that’s why I’m wondering if it’s an expensive that’s worth it or not. My family isn’t much for dancing and neither is my fiancé’s lol
  • Bonnie
    Beginner December 2021
    Bonnie ·
    • Flag
    Sorry my message got cut off. But my sis in law didn’t want to spend money on a DJ & it was mostly family, so it was fine. It was a more laid back wedding so it fit them. I would just make sure you have a dedicated person to manage it if there are technical issues & to announce/ MC for you
  • Bonnie
    Beginner December 2021
    Bonnie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok then that sounds like it could work well for you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics