Philippa
Dedicated November 2021

Dinner & dancing, extra time vs cost

Philippa, on February 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 7
Saved
We are getting married at an all-inclusive resort in Mexico and they included a 2 hour reception in hour package. My fiancé is set on getting a DJ and dancing after dinner. They told me an extra hour would be $1k for the bar and $550 for the DJ. Will 3 hours be enough for dinner & dancing? It’ll be a plated dinner and we will be having some speeches.

7 Comments

Latest activity by Michelle, on February 21, 2021 at 2:12 PM
  • Sarah
    Master September 2019
    Sarah Online ·
    • Flag
    I think 3 hours is ok but might be a bit short depending on how many courses your dinner is. Our dinner was 3 courses and just dinner took about 1.5 hours.
  • Lauren
    Expert July 2021
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    You can probably be fine but it may feel a bit short. Is there somewhere you can go after the official reception to keep the party going?
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    It’ll be cutting it close- I’d check with other places for your after party.
  • Julie
    VIP February 2020
    Julie ·
    • Flag

We had 5 hours including the ceremony. It seemed pretty perfect because we had a pretty chill atmosphere during a 3-course dinner (which took 1.5 hours with speeches). There was dancing for 1.5 hours after and I thought that was plenty. And I had to pay a fee of 1k to have the ceremony there (but it also gave us an extra 30 minutes cuz our ceremony was so short)

• Shirley
    Expert November 2020
    Shirley ·
    • Flag
    For something that length, I would do a buffet. I've been to so many plated dinners that run well over--the venue promised 1.5 hours but it took 2.5-3.

Also can you organize a more casual after party? That way the dancing and socializing can keep going.
  • S
    Expert November 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag

I agree with PP, for that length of time I'd either do a buffet or extend by 2 hours

• Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

3 hours is very short for dancing. Does the dj time start when the reception starts or when dancing starts?

A 2 hour reception is for mingling at cake and punch only. For dinner, most places have 4 hr standard which is still short when you include dancing, which is still only 2 hrs worth.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics