Laura
Dedicated November 2019

Delaying honeymoon?

Laura, on September 19, 2019 at 3:23 PM Posted in Honeymoon 0 20
Saved Save
So my wedding is taking up a good chunk of my finances at the moment, so we're probably not going to be going on a honeymoon right after the wedding. In fact, we'll probably be going right back to work a day or two after. Is anyone else postponing a honeymoon due to finances? If you didnt have money for a honeymoon did you do anything special the day after anyways? I'm just exploring if there's anything we can do the day after to have a 'just us' celebration.

20 Comments

• Meghan
    Super September 2019
    Meghan ·

We took a mini-moon because we didn't want to go back to work immediately but couldn't afford big vacation without gift money. We took Amtrak from NY to Miami and then flew home - the whole trip was 3 days. We're going to take our real honeymoon early next year sometime.

Maybe you could find a nice little bed and breakfast or something in your area you could stay in for at least a night or two?

• Maricarmen
    Expert September 2019
    Maricarmen ·
    Our wedding was this past Saturday and I came back to work on Tuesday. We are postponing honeymoon because of finances and we are okay with that. We might go somewhere in December.
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·

We didn't delay ours, we went on our honeymoon 2 days later. Even if you delay, which is totally fine, I'd take a day or two off to spend it with your new husband and relax and unwind! Maybe do something fun like a staycation or couples massage?

• Ivy ORP
    Rockstar October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·

We are delaying for finances and better weather at our destination. It is perfectly ok to delay you honeymoon. We will be taking a long weekend to celebrate and spend time with family in town as much as possible. Since we'll be at our venue all weekend through Monday that is our version of a mini-moon.

• C
    Dedicated September 2019
    Cardioqueen ·
    We are having a delayed honeymoon — we’re both in medical fellowships and can’t schedule coverage right after our wedding. It’s super common in medicine. I’m glad we’ll have some time to plan and to save up for a nice honeymoon this Spring!!
  • Sharyl
    Dedicated October 2020
    Sharyl ·
    I’ll be delaying mine. I was planning to go 4-5 months after getting married due to finance as well. I was just planning to take a mini vacation after my wedding because my family from out of the country will be in town though but it will be less than a week. But delaying honeymoon time is perfectly okay. I know some people who have delayed it to a year just to save a little more money
  • Kelly
    Super October 2019
    Kelly ·

We are delaying ours - we are taking our honeymoon during the Christmas holiday for a few reasons: my work closes for 2x weeks, so I wouldn't have to use any vacation time & we always wants to do New Orleans for NYE. We are taking the full week before the wedding and 2x days (so 3x including Sunday) off though.

• Tessa
    Devoted November 2019
    Tessa ·

We are having a Friday wedding in November and heading back to work Monday. I think Saturday and Sunday will be a nice way to decompress since we both can't afford any time off due to year end deadlines at work combined with Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years being so close.

• W-K
    Super October 2019
    W-K Online ·

We aren't planning on going on a honeymoon at all. Maybe at a later time but we will be getting married on a Friday and will have the weekend to ourselves. We plan on basically laying in bed and relaxing on Saturday then doing our regular Sunday thing.

• K
    Dedicated October 2020
    Katie ·
    Our wedding is in October and my FH is a college professor so it is right in the middle of a semester. We will be taking ours the following summer. Our wedding is on a Saturday and we will stay at the hotel where our reception is held and then going back to work on Monday. We have been living together for 4 years and dating for 6 so waiting a little while until time and money are right is okay with us. Plus I have two kids so they have school on Monday as well. Just gives me more time to wrap everything up after the wedding is done. Lol!!
  • Rebecca
    Devoted January 2020
    Rebecca Online ·

We're thinking about doing a 1-year anniversary trip instead of going on a honeymoon right away. We'll not only be out of money but also almost vacation days (we're taking the work week off before the wedding, we have to travel for our wedding)

• Cristy
    Rockstar May 2020
    Cristy ·

Yes, we might have to do this too. We had our hearts set on a caribbean cruise, right after the wedding. But costs are adding up so quickly, we're now thinking we may have to postpone that trip to our 1-year anniversary.

It's a bummer, but now we're looking at a little "mini-moon" somewhere not too far where we can have a few days away, alone after the wedding. There is NO WAY I'm going back to work the Monday after my Saturday wedding!! LOL

• L
    Savvy September 2020
    Online ·
    I am not getting married until September 2020 but I am pretty sure we will be postponing our honeymoon due to finances. You are not alone! You have to do what’s right for your own personal situation.
  • Izzy
    Devoted April 2021
    Izzy ·
    We are having a “destination” wedding on the North Carolina coast because we have family there and will be doing a little “mini moon” out there for a couple days after but will be going on an all inclusive Bahamas honeymoon on our first anniversary!!
  • L
    Dedicated August 2019
    Leaves232 ·
    We delayed our honeymoon - there's no way we could plan our wedding and a huge trip at the same time. However, we did take a mini-moon 2 days later for 4 days (from NYC to Montreal) and played each day by ear instead of planning an itinerary.
  • Yam
    VIP September 2019
    Yam ·
    We’re doing a mini-moon one state over for 3 days and a bigger trip next year. As long as you get to spend some time together before you go back to work a honeymoon is just an extra, it’s not completely necessary. I would’ve loved a big honeymoon but I like eating and paying my bills more. 😋 We all have the rest of our lives to go on big trips with our spouses.
  • Rebecca
    Super August 2019
    Rebecca ·

We got married Aug 24. We're not going on our honeymoon until January.

We've got a host of reasons why:

1. We're going to Disney World/Universal, and we refuse to go to FL in August. (And then Dorian happened, so good call, us!)

2. We're both service workers. We can only take so many days off at once!

3. Finances - we had a honeymoon fund and knew we wouldn't be able to go until we received some gifts. (Which we did, and we just got our thank you notes in, so yay!)

4. Disney World/Universal are PACKED at this time of year. Waiting until January is going to be so much calmer!

• Deirdre
    Super March 2018
    Deirdre ·

We delayed our honeymoon, and I love that we did this. It was better for us financially, it made the wedding planning less stressful because we weren't planning a big vacation at the same time, it kept the wedding magic alive for us longer. You do months sometimes years of planning and it's all over after one day. This gave us something else to look forward to and allowed us to extend that newlywed glow. We did take a few days off afterwards (I recommend that as well). We got married about 1 1/2 from our house, so we stayed out there an extra day and just relaxed and went out to dinner together. Then we went home and spent a day there going through cards and presents. We live in the Boston area, so to do something to celebrate right afterwards we got a hotel room in the city and tickets to a band we both like. It was perfect.

• Kimberly
    Expert October 2019
    Kimberly ·

We're going on our honeymoons a few weeks after the wedding. our wedding is October 17th and we leave for our honeymoon on November 7th. we did this for a few reasons. 1 bc we have dogs and i don't want to leave them boarded for that long. my sister will be staying with them in November so we don't have to do that. 2. was work. i know i could have gotten the time off to go right away but i'd rather go to work and get ahead of schedule so i don't have so much to do when we get back. we also just wanted some time to be home and come down from the wedding high before we leave again.

• Alisha
    Just Said Yes October 2020
    Alisha ·

My FH and I will be getting married on 10.23.2020, but will be taking our honeymoon a few months after, so that we can enjoy it and save up. We plan to do an all inclusive at either Sandals resort in St.Lucia, but the flights are super expensive. We might just take a 5-7 day cruise out of Puerto Rico and sail to different islands (St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Curacao)

Comment on this discussion