We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kathryn
Rockstar August 2020

David's Bridal Alterations - a Rant

Kathryn, on March 5, 2020 at 11:35 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 19
Saved Save
So I just went to my third fitting, and I was not pleased at all with the experience. The last time I went, I ended up being fitted at the same time as another lady. It was ok because the fitting area comfortably fit two of us with room to spare. This time, I was ushered back to a sea of brides all trying to get fitted at the same time. It was pandamonium, to say the least.

Now, from what I've gathered the lady doing my alterations may be the best one there. This means that there were seven brides all trying to get fitted by one lady at the same time. Three fitting rooms, it was hard to feel comfortable. There was a poor bride mid bustle that had to stand there with pins going every which way while she went to a different bride. I almost turned around and walked out, it was so bad. They took ten minutes to find my dress, and by that point I knew I should have rescheduled with her.

But I persevered. I was ushered into one of the available rooms for my five minute slot and hurried into changing. I couldn't zip the dress by myself, and half the alterations weren't done or were sloppily done. She moved behind me and started trying to zip....every bride's worst nightmare. Pure anxiety in my mind. She recruited another lady, no dice.
The zipper would not go up.

Having had several hours to reflect and calm down, I think part of it may have been the cups that were added. It may also be that I gained weight. But standing there, with five brides watching, she checked the zipper and then kind of threw her hands up. Said best bet would probably be to wait and see closer to the date. I swear to god. I've reflected, analysed. The only thing changing is me. The dress wouldn't change if she was leaving it alone.
So....I need to lose weight? This fit two weeks ago.

She hustled me back out of the dreaa, threw a flurry of changes at my head, then rushed me out so she could try to contain the mob waiting for her. I do not, by any means, think she is at fault. I do think the fact that she had six brides at once might have attributed to my anxiety rising to an unbearable pitch. Because she did not have time to calm me down.

I went out to my car and I sobbed. It's been a rough week - started with most of my mom's family declining and culminated in my dress not zipping up. But to he rushed through alterations and more or less told to lose weight....yeah. let this be a warning to you guys. Get your alterations done through them with a grain of salt. I was so frustrated, and so were the brides that were waiting with me. This is not ok. This dress cost too much and means too much for shoddy work and miscommunication.

My mom called and negotiated with the manager, and they're going to let out the sides for free. I'm feeling pretty bad about myself and limiting my calorie intake to air. All in all, if I had to do it again I would find a seamstress not through David's Bridal. Way too much money for so so alterations, and a bad experience to go with. I am so so done.

19 Comments

• A
    Super February 2020
    Andrea
    • Flag
    I was not happy with my DB alterations experience. Even after 4 alterations appointments I left the place also crying. I managed to get back 50% of my alterations money back and put it towards my typical tailor to get it fixed, but because I only had less than a week I noticed there were some fixes that weren鈥檛 that great either. If I could do it over again I鈥檇 go to my tailor from the beginning and not stress myself out from DB incompetence.
  • Fleur
    October 2020
    Fleur
    • Flag
    Waiting my turn and zippers are 2 of the more obnoxious parts of life lol. I can totally feel your stress, love. Hang in there, you got this!! Sending a virtual 馃.
  • Melanie
    Savvy March 2020
    Melanie
    • Flag

I didn't get my dress from David's but I can totally relate to the alterations nightmare! My dress is way too big in the chest because I have small boobs. I want it to be taken in to fit me perfectly but the lady doing the alterations doesn't think she can do it because it's all lace and I guess it would be too difficult? I don't know. She's adding more padding to see if that will help but I'm upset because I'm afraid my dress will look terrible. I'm just hoping she works some miracle or I'll have time to take it to somebody else. I've cried about it and every time I think about my dress I get sad. It shouldn't be like that! We should be so excited about our wedding dresses! I hope they fix yours and get it to fit perfectly! But I totally understand how upsetting it is, you're not alone. This is probably the most stressed I've been out of all the wedding planning. Just gotta keep telling myself my fiance will think I look beautiful no matter what!

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was already at a bad place when I went for the appointment, and my FH was like "it better be good. For the love of God." She messed up the bustle so the work was pretty shoddy, the straps weren't fixed, and then the zipper didn't go up! I was so shocked at that plus the flood of brides all trying to get fitted. I cried. Idk what I'm going to do if it doesn't zip on the day - cry some more? I'm upset just thinking about it.
  • Melanie
    Savvy March 2020
    Melanie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I can't imagine being in there with a bunch of other people too. That's insanity! Would you be able to take it somewhere else and maybe they can fix what DB messed up? My wedding is March 28 and I'm worried I won't have time to take it to someone else if she can't make it look good on me. I get upset thinking about it too and nothing anyone tells me really helps me feel better about it. And then I start thinking I'm just going to look terrible on my wedding, my dress won't fit, my hair and makeup won't look good, and I won't feel pretty at all. It's rough. I'm sorry you're going through this! I want to tell you it'll all turn out ok but when people tell me that it doesn't help me feel much better haha.

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Lol I know that sentiment of not believing anyone- it's a rough one. I'm the same way though, but that's my mom's go to because she's several hours away. I do believe that things will work out, but it's hard to always see that when you're dealing with the anxiety of something as big as this lol. I think if it doesn't fit when I go back that I'll take it somewhere else, but then I'll be two weeks out. Yeah terrifying. I'm having heart palpitations again just thinking about it.
  • Melanie
    Savvy March 2020
    Melanie
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah, I agree that it will all work out too but it is hard to think that way in the moment. And my dress is the one thing I want to look perfect so expectations are high and it's disappointing when it's not going how you want it to. It does help knowing that there are other brides going through similar situations though!

• Taylor
    VIP October 2020
    Taylor
    • Flag

Oh no! I'm SO sorry this happened to you. Did you leave the dress with her or take it home? If she isn't going to do anything else, I'd bring it home or take it to a different shop and see if they can take a look at it. That's absolutely ridiculous. I've heard terrible things from almost everyone that has had alterations done at DB. It'll all be okay. Don't stress too muchSmiley heart

• Kendra
    Devoted August 2020
    Kendra
    • Flag

I am so sorry!! That's terrible! Is there any way for you to get your dress and go somewhere else? It sounds like there isn't much time and a lot of work it still needs. I paid a ton of money to go to a tailor but she took the time to make sure I liked how she pinned it. I see it again on the 20th but I'm super confident in her. I know it costs so much, but maybe trying to take it somewhere else and get some of your money back would be worth it to save your sanity!

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I left it with her. My mom called the manager to complain/demand an explanation, and she explained that they'll let out the sides for free. I worry that they'll think I complained solely for free stuff or something like that, but I was legitimately upset. Not to mention rushed. It was overall a horrible experience.
  • Jodie
    Expert August 2020
    Jodie
    • Flag

I had the best girl while helping me try on dresses at David's Bridal. But I was warned to NOT do my alterations through them. I've got a separate seamstress that will be doing my alterations. I've had the nightmare 3 times now that my dress doesn't zip up which makes me panicky. I hope everything works out in the end for you and I'm very sorry you are having to deal with all of that. This is supposed to be our happy time!

• Carly
    Devoted April 2020
    Carly
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    How many people were trying to zip it up? I only ask because when helping my sister try on her dress a couple months before the wedding - I tried zipping the dress up for her and couldn鈥檛 even get it up half way. Then on her wedding day, I was still having the same problem. But, adding a couple extra hands and we were able to get it up.
  • Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari
    • Flag

Ugh so sorry for you. I found a local seamstress that is well reviewed that I was going to use to alter my dress (purchased pre-owned from StillWhite), but it fits pretty well as is so I think I'll just skip it because the idea of getting in altered stresses me so much. Since getting engaged, I lost about 8-9 lbs, but my weight has been fluctuating by a few pounds so my dress is an inch or two loose when I'm having a skinny day but fits perfectly on a bloated day after a full meal. I'd rather have it slightly big than too small and don't want to risk not being able to zip it or ripping it on my wedding day, so I think I'll save the stress and expense and just err on the side of it not fitting skin tight.

My MOH is getting her dress from David's and it likely won't need any alterations except maybe to have cups added. I really hope it goes smoothly and doesn't create any issues for her.

I'm so sorry you've had this experience!

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Two. I think part of it may have been she was too overworked to really try, but it has fit the other times. Really I was just upset with the rushed atmosphere in general.
  • Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would do that in a heartbeat now. I was feeling like a fast food customer, not a valued bride. And I'm sure the other girls were too! They really are just, obnoxious. I should've taken it elsewhere and seen about fixing it, because now the straps still don't work and the zipper wouldn't go up.
  • Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I almost wish I hadn't save for it needed the bustle! The straps are way too tight now, and the back looks terrible. I am so upset. Plus the way they handled it was also horrible.
  • Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I am so sorry for you! The bustle is important so I'm glad you got that done (my dress came with a bustle, fortunately), but I'm so sorry about the rest. If you can get the dress and find a different seamstress it might be worth it to take it somewhere else. I hope it all turns out wonderful in time for your wedding day!

• Kathryn
    Rockstar August 2020
    Kathryn
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I am tempted to do that. It feels like she's barely taken any time to focus on me. The lady who should be doing my fitting today was the same one who didn't do much the first time, so I am pessimistic. I just want it all to to right!
  • Carly
    Devoted April 2020
    Carly
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes, I鈥檓 sure that was most of it. I completely understand - I鈥檓 sure I鈥檇 feel the same way.

I ended up finding an individual tailor to take my dress to & she did a wonderful job. $45 for a bustle and cups sewn in. So, If DB doesn鈥檛 rectify it (SOON) - hopefully you can find someone else to do it for you Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion

Related articles