Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chelsea
Expert July 2021

Curvy brides! Let me see your dress!

Chelsea, on June 26, 2020 at 5:31 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 1 15
I’m in that awkward 16/18 where I fit some regular and some plus sizes due to my hips! I love this crepe material dress and I was told because of my hips it’s harder to find one in my size To try on. Of corse this one is discontinued but I’m on a hunt for similar. Anyone else get this style and is also hippie?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Cheryl, on July 21, 2020 at 5:47 PM
  • Chelsea
    Expert July 2021
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 1
    Crepe lace and bling
  • Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Have you tried the dress on? That was the style I was looking for until I put it on and looked like the starkist tuna commercial of years past.

I tried on a few styles, but ended up with this, and absolutely love it! Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 2
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 3
    Phew, memories of my dress. It's a fit and flare, love the lace and the beading.
  • Chelsea G
    Devoted June 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 4
    This is me from behind. I’m typically a 14 but got an 18 which fits me perfectly. The girl at DB said my hips were too wide to fit a mermaid style
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I'm a size 14/16 with big hips and a small waist, so I wanted a gown that would flatter my curves and not hide them (though my four year old would have loved to see me in a HUGE ballgown). Everybody has a different comfort level when it comes to how form-fitting a dress is, so I definitely say try it on or at least something in a similar silhouette. I don't have a good picture of me in my dress (it's with the seamstress right now!), but here's a picture from the designer. I do plan to add a petticoat, just to flare the bottom out a little because I liked the fit and flare look but loved the lace and applique on this dress (and price since I got it from a sample sale). Don't be afraid to try things you think you won't like, you might be surprised.

ed95e87d-2834-4384-8c08-70b56129f791

• Jasmine
    Master August 2021
    Jasmine ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I don't know if I would risk it. It's a pretty dress but if you can't find a dress that's in or around your size (above your size), you won't get to really see how it would fit or feel. My dress is about the same size. I still need to get it altered and looks a bit funny so I'm only going to post the model photos.

Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 5

Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 6

Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 7

• Ashshaw2022
    Dedicated May 2022
    Ashshaw2022 ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Love the dress what style is this
  • Kathryn
    VIP August 2020
    Kathryn ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    It's this one: https://www.davidsbridal.com/product_off-the-shldr-beadedlace-trmpt-8xtcwg808_plus-size-wedding-dresses ! I love the train on it too. It's a really nice mermaid for curvy gals, super flattering
  • Danielle
    Expert November 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Beautiful dress!!!

• Kim T
    Savvy March 2021
    Kim T ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Sorry to hear DB personnel said that, you are entitled to try what dress on you chose, it is your day and your decision on what you want to wear. I do love the detail on that dress.

• Chelsea G
    Devoted June 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment
    Not my style anyway and felt it’d be impossible to walk in so I had no intentions at all. I thought i wanted a sheath but ended with a ball gown!
  • Allie
    VIP November 2021
    Allie ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I’m in that weird sizing bracket too, my dress is actually a 16W even though I usually wear a normal size 14. But it looks beautiful, I had a great consultant who told me to let her worry about the sizes, not me, and just worry about the look! I felt beautiful! Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 8

• M
    Dedicated August 2021
    megan ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Curvy gal here!

Here is a pic of my dress Smiley smile. love seeing all these fabulous choices!

Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 9

• Chelsea
    Expert July 2021
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    View Quoted Comment

Its so pretty!!!! Love your dress!

• Cheryl
    Dedicated November 2021
    Cheryl ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I'm a plus gal and I got a trumpet style dress. I'm not going to post the pictures of me IN it because the one I tried on didn't quite fit. But I got this dress. I can't WAIT until it's fitted properly. I'm chubby chick, but I do have an hourglass figure -- literally. My hips are only 1/2 bigger than my bust. So, I actually say it's more like an hour and half...hour and 45 minutes. Smiley winking

And by the way...I'm not sure who told you it's harder to find dresses to try on because of your size, or where you live, but that's crap. I mean, I get that some shops don't cater to plus sizes -- their loss. I did go to one shop that had absolutely nothing I could actually put on, but the three others had plenty of options for me. So keep trying. Call the shops and ask if they have plus size samples. If they don't, move on.

Curvy brides! Let me see your dress! 10

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics