Vannesa
Expert October 2021

Credit card

Vannesa, on November 19, 2019 at 1:26 PM Posted in Planning 2 19
Saved

So FH and I are thinking about getting a credit card that way we can build up flyer miles. Has anyone done this? If so what card did you get?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Vannesa, on November 20, 2019 at 3:19 PM
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    We don’t have one but my FIL is obsessed with the American Airlines citi card lol. He keeps trying to get us to get one but we don’t fly nearly enough for it to be worth it.
  • Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Haha we definitely think it will get us to travel more.

• Jennifer
    Super March 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    Get Delta! They have a deal right now where if you spend 2k in the first few months you get 60,000 points. We actually used our points to set our destination wedding! Also, delta flys more places than some of the others!
  • Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh that sounds like a good one!

• Lauren
    VIP February 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

Capital One Venture Card!!! I love it!! I was able to almost get our honeymoon flights for free due to miles I built up in the first 3 months (they give you 50,000 bonus miles if you spend $3k on it in the first 90 days)! I only had to pay a total of $75 for our flights, and they would've been almost $700 total. Smiley smile

• Jennifer
    Super March 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Go to their website and look around. You can also sign up for their shopping points system. You add what stores you frequent and it let's you know when they increase their points. For example, sephora is usually 1 point per dollar spent. They emailed me the other day with an 8 points per dollar promo going on. It is kind of fun! Just don't get carried away and max it out. Haha
  • Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I think we looked into the Delta one since they fly to the Philippines and that's where we want to go on our honeymoon.

• Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! I know a lot of people try and do this for their flights for their honeymoon

• M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    I use a Discover card and get cash back which I am currently using to buy all our Christmas gifts and wedding stuff. ☺️
  • Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

So with that one do you not get flyer points?

• M
    Expert September 2020
    Marcia ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    No. I find I use the cash back way more than I would the points
  • MrsD
    Legend July 2019
    MrsD ·
    • Flag

We used the Southwest Chase card. They were running a promotion that you spend 4k in 3 months and get a companion pass for the year, so we got that anticipating they would fly to Hawaii (which they did) for our honeymoon.

• Erin
    Dedicated April 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    We got a card together, but we did it for the cash back incentives instead. We liked the BOA cash back card because we get 15mo no interest, and that’s huge when paying for wedding stuff! It also lets you choose which category you get 3% cash back each month. For us, online purchases were our most popular, and grocery gets 2% back. We don’t fly/travel enough to get a airline mile card.
  • Danielle
    Expert March 2019
    Danielle ·
    • Flag

I have an American Airlines card, and hubby has Delta. We used his miles for the outbound flight of our honeymoon, and mine for the return LOL

Delta is a good one because their miles don't expire. Technically American will tell you there's an expiration on miles, but its like 18 months from the last time you use the account. If you're using the card regularly (or their shopping links), its not an issue, I've never worried about it and I've had an American card for years.

• E
    Devoted October 2021
    Erin ·
    • Flag

I have the Delta Skymiles AmEx card that I got to save up miles to pay for our honeymoon flights. My fiance has a Discover cash back card, which isn't miles or any flying points, but he does like the cash back a lot and you could save the cash back you get and use them on flights

• Candace
    Savvy February 2020
    Candace ·
    • Flag
    We got a BoA Travel Rewards card. We're doing the UK for 2 weeks for our honeymoon, and plan on several foriegn trips over the next several years, so a card with zero foriegn transaction fees was specifically what we wanted. We've already been able to cash in several hundred dollars since we got it in September. Whatever version you go with, my best advice is look for a deal with 0% APR for the first year. Then you won't be so stressed paying it off to stay ahead of interest. And, of course, keep it paid off so the company doesn't make money off of you!
  • C
    Super December 2021
    Casey ·
    • Flag
    I love my Amazon card (5% back on Amazon purchases yesss) but I also shop Amazon A LOT lol so it's worth it to me. Probably not the best card otherwise.
  • A
    Super August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

Don't go into debt for your wedding.

https://www.daveramsey.com/dave-ramsey-7-baby-steps?snid=start.steps

• Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Oh we definitely wouldn't my parents and his are giving us money for it and we were going to use the credit card just to make the purchases and use the cash they give us to pay it off.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics