We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Taylor
Just Said Yes November 2020

covid Wedding Rescheduling

Taylor, on November 18, 2020 at 10:00 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 10
Saved Save
Help! I don’t know what to do. My wedding was supposed to be this Saturday. We planned to have about 50 people, socially distanced, outdoors. Everything was ready to go. We knew all along that Covid restrictions could make things difficult, but it seemed that everything was going to be okay. Then yesterday we got a call that my fiancé had had close contact for a full shift with a coworker with Covid. It’s been several days now and he doesn’t have symptoms (thank goodness). Obviously, we need to be cautious and he should be quarantining so we can’t hold the wedding as planned. We’re absolutely heartbroken over this. At this point we’ve moved him in, combined our finances, and we’re ready to be married. Luckily our pastor is still okay with marrying us on Saturday (from a distance) as long as my fiancé doesn’t start developing symptoms.

I guess my question is - how weird would it be to get married this Saturday and still have a wedding celebration in the spring/summer? At this point many of my vendors will not allow a refund unless we rebook for a later date. I don’t want to feel like we missed out on having the wedding we planned because of stupid covid. Thoughts?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on November 23, 2020 at 3:38 PM
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    This is something that many people are doing this year, where they do a small ceremony this year, and a larger celebration/reception next year! I don't think it's weird at all - you'd also get to celebrate twice, which is pretty awesome. If that is what works best for you and your fiance, I say go for it!
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Do what works best for you. I opted out if the big ceremony and will only be doing a tiny, outdoor, socially distanced one.
  • Cathy
    Dedicated September 2022
    Cathy ·
    • Flag
    A lot of people do this when they are involved In military. I don’t think anyone will question it because of Covid. Just be sure to note it on your invite for your celebration that you hold at a later date. “Belated Wedding Celebration”
    Or something along those lines so that people know that it is a delayed celebration but that you are already married. And I am so sorry that this is happening to you!
  • W
    Expert September 2020
    Willow ·
    • Flag
    Not weird at all. It's what 99% of covid couples are doing. As PP said, it's been done by military couples long before covid.
  • Jessica
    Dedicated February 2021
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I would get a test and if he’s negative have your wedding otherwise there’s nothing wrong with having a celebration in summer
  • Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag

Not weird at all. My husband and I got married in October and our big wedding is set for March 2021 and everyone is excited!

• Taylor
    Just Said Yes November 2020
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    Thanks, this makes me feel much better. He did get a negative test but was told by the doctor that he needs to quarantine for 14 days because of how you can technically end up being positive during any time in that period. Better safe than sorry I guess.

I am wondering - when people do this delayed celebration, do they typically do it as like a cow renewal? Or skip that part entirely and do a reception? And what about like the “first dance” and all that stuff? Just trying to wrap my head around this.
  • Chelsea
    Savvy October 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag

I'm SO SORRY that you've had a wrench thrown in your plans like this. And I really hope your fiance is OK!

It definitely isn't weird to reschedule and your guests will definitely understand given this circumstance. Yes, you can frame the future event as a vow renewal and do the ceremony + reception, or just the reception alone ("celebration of marriage"). All the same stuff you were planning to do this weekend, you can just do next year.

Good luck!!

• Danielle
    Just Said Yes January 2021
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    This is what we are doing! We were planning for a wedding Fall of 2021 but with COVID and uncertainties of what will be next year didn’t want our actual wedding to be canceled/postponed. We are getting married with a small group of family New Years Day and planning the originally hoped reception and a mock ceremony still for Fall 2021. Good luck to you both!! And Congratulations on Saturday!!!
  • Danielle
    Just Said Yes January 2021
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    covid Wedding Rescheduling 1
    This also is a really awesome idea for your guests!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles