Hey all, I realize there’s a bajillion posts about people in similar situations as me but I could use some encouragement and input. My wedding is supposed to be May 23, 2020, although it’s becoming more and more obvious that that will not be the case. My fiancé and I have been counting down the days until the wedding and now we’re wishing it was further away. As it stands right now, we couldn’t even have our immediate families there because it’d be over 10 people, plus the bridal party. We really don’t want to cancel (obviously) and I’m getting severely depressed that all this planning and excitement is going to be for nothing. (Plus like having been excited for my wedding since I was a little girl). On the flip side, we really don’t want to push it back because we’ve been waiting so long already and actually I’m 98% sure our venue is booked through the end of the year so we’d have to find a new one in our budget (impossible I promise, I looked for 8 months and there’s nothing). Lots of people have suggested having the ceremony with only family and doing the reception when this all calms down but I don’t love that idea either. I guess I’m just curious what others are doing.
View Quoted Comment
I am sure whatever happens with yours as well that it will be beautiful. These are trying times, but in the end as long as I have my FH I will be ok because that’s what matters. I hope you are able to have a beautiful wedding!
My wedding is also May 23rd. And as of right everything is still on.. but it’s just really hard to tell at this point. I’m waiting until mid April to make a call if we need to reschedule. It’s just hard because you have to coordinate with all vendors and see what dates they have available. Hoping for the best! My bridal shower is April 4th & my bachelorette is suppose to be April 30th.. I haven’t decided about those two either..
We’re May 9th and as of right now we’re still aiming for that date. My wedding coordinator said to wait this out till early April and see how things are. We did make a plan B quickly when all this mayhem started, so if we do postpone we’re set for July 24th (let’s hope that date will work as well). It’s unfortunate because we’ve already spent money on a lot of items that say our original date. And have been given engraved gifts with that date as well. We’re also throwing around the idea of legally being married on our original date, and having a vow renewal at the backup. Time will tell~ 🙁
May 16th here. Considering our poor response to the crisis, I'm anticipating we're a few weeks behind what Italy is experiencing. Plus today was the first day that China's reported no new cases since it first started. I didn't want to risk my grandmother & FH's parents health by having an event even nearing the end of the crisis. I was originally going to wait until April, but our venues booked out pretty far ahead that if we wait too long, we wouldn't get a date in May. My ceremony site is already booked for all of next May, so we had to make changes to that. We figured we could get married legally this year if needed and do the reception next year. Been together 8/9 years so what's another year?
I'm May 24. We're waiting until the first week of April to make a call, but if we have to postpone, we're going to elope on our day to keep it special. It's so hard, but try to remember it's the marriage, not the wedding, that truly counts.
May 23rd here as well. Yesterday, we started the process of postponing our wedding as 85% of our 200 guests are from out of town. Most of my vendors are being very understanding and flexible during this time. However, my venue is not. The owner offered me a Saturday in mid August, when the average temperature here is 96F and our wedding is outdoors. So obviously that's not ideal, but I feel forced to take it. She has also said we won’t receive any of our money back, if we choose to cancel outright in order to find a better date at another venue. Are any of you having issues like this? How are those of you who are postponing handling it? Thanks in advance for your thoughts and sharing your experiences.
View Quoted Comment
Oh wow! I’m so sorry your venue is being such a pain. Our venue said they’ve decided cancellations and reschedules will be free through November, but I know every weekend is already booked through the rest of the year anyway. That seems bizarre that they aren’t working with you more.
I think it's bizarre too. I have doubted her integrity in recent months for numerous reasons, which leads me to suspect she is holding my wedding hostage in order to keep primo dates available for other brides since I have already paid in full. It's a beautiful venue, but off the beaten path, so it is not well known or popular at all. Everywhere else I call has at least some availability in cooler months or next spring. So I am not sure what I am going to do now. Do I make my guests and bridal party swelter in the August heat? Walk away from thousands of dollars and fork over thousands more on a new venue for a better date? Or call the whole thing off and elope ? The last option is sounding pretty good right now!
We were May 23, and postponed to next May. Our venue was also booked every Saturday until February 2021, and I didn't want a winter wedding. It really sucks to have to wait until next May, but FH and I are living apart next year for my job anyway, so it's not like we would be trying to start a family or anything like that until I move back. We also felt way safer postponing by over a year -- more time for a vaccine to hopefully be developed. And I don't think I have the strength to postpone twice -- I feel like we'd just cancel and lose thousands of dollars.
I also didn't love the idea of doing a smaller wedding with like, the 25 people who are local/feel comfortable driving from out of state. I've put so much time and effort into planning this big incredible wedding, and I just can't bring myself to let it go.
I feel the same way! My venue hasn't responded yet about my inquiries for a May 2021 wedding, but that would be ideal! We will probably elope since we have already been engaged 14 months and I am ready to marry this man already! But I think it's so great that you were able to look past the crummy part of postponing and found a way to still have your wedding on your terms (well as much as possible) Hopefully you are already all done with planning and now you have a whole year to tweak details and to enjoy being engaged!!
4/18 wedding here. As of today, we are still planning for the wedding since most of the current bans and restrictions are supposed to end april 6th. However, we have a plan B in case things don't die down and restrictions get extended. Plan B is to reschedule everything for a later date, but still have a small ceremony with immediate family at my grandfather's church (my grandfather is the officiant anyway) on 4/18. It will be a tad over 10 people, but I think we will be fine. We just want to legally marry on the same date no matter what happens. It will suck to reschedule, just like many brides have had to do, but unfortunately 2020 has been cursed.. Just remember, the marriage is the important part. It's hard for everyone right now, so I hope you never feel alone in these wedding decisions. We are all here for each other no matter what has to happen.
Thanks, Molly! I am definitely trying to stay positive. More time to save for additions to the day (extra band member, nicer table linens), and I'm one of those brides who actually LOVES wedding planning (and planning in general) so more time to do that and for the anticipation to build I guess.
I do feel you about wanting to marry this man already lol! I hope your elopement plans go well! Will it just be you two or will your family be able to be there too? We would definitely be more interested in eloping if my parents were local and could be there for it. I think they would be crushed if they weren't there for the actual moment, even if we did the big reception later.