We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Juanita
Just Said Yes September 2021

Courthouse wedding with a traditional wedding later?

Juanita, on January 20, 2021 at 5:17 PM Posted in Community Conversations 0 12
Saved Save
Hello everyone!
I’m kind of in a pickle.
Me and my husband went to the courthouse and got married in Sep. of 2020. We did not have a traditional wedding like we wanted to due COVID. But we would like to do something for our family and friends that obviously couldn’t be at the courthouse with us. I’ve always wanted a traditional wedding with the beautiful dress and everything. But idk what to do. I guess I’m just thinking about what others would think.Help! Give me some ideas!❤️

12 Comments

Latest activity by Ruth, on February 4, 2021 at 1:17 AM
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

A friend of mine got married in his backyard with just immediate family and the bridal party. They plan on having their larger wedding this year with all of their guests. I don't see an issue with it as long as you are honest with your guests about already being married. I personally can't wait to celebrate with my friend.

• Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    Sure, go for it, but don't break your bank. I like the backyard wedding idea.
  • Sandra
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sandra ·
    • Flag
    I think there’s absolutely no reason why you can’t have the wedding you’re imagining! Paperwork is important and all but celebrating your love with all your nearest and dearest is an important part of the process as well. To me anyway! My FH and I went to the courthouse sometime in October, basically to get the green card process started. Our wedding is September 25th and I see no need to inform my guests we already went to the courthouse because it was just signing a few documents haha. I still call him my fiancé!
    My point is, these are strange times and you should do what makes your heart happy without feeling awkward/guilty/weird/inauthentic etc etc. 😊
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    Plan a vow renewal! Not for 2021 though. Maybe 2022 or later.
  • Juanita
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Juanita ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
    Do you plan on wearing your dream dress and have bridesmaids/groomsmen?
  • Sandra
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh absolutely! I found a Marchesa dress I fell in love with, and I’ve got seven bridesmaids. He’s got six groomsmen so someone is doubling up haha. We also planned a Friday meet and greet and Sunday brunch since it’s a destination wedding. I haven’t “toned anything down” because we already did the courthouse thing, because I want all the bells and whistles of a wedding! 😂❤️
  • L
    Beginner July 2021
    Lynn ·
    • Flag

I agree with a poster above that you should have a giant celebration for a vow renewal in 2022. Do what you would have loved to have done originally... big wedding, beautiful venue, dancing, gorgeous dress. You will make great memories and never have to felt that you missed out.

• Ruth
    Beginner November 2022
    Ruth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Totally agree with you! No one needs to know so what you guys do. You guys should be doing what makes you happy!
  • Ruth
    Beginner November 2022
    Ruth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Me and you are in the same boat! Me and my Fiancé got engaged on 1/29/2021 and we are planning on getting married the the court next mont. Due to starting his green card process. Then we will be having are big destination wedding 2/26/22. With absolutely all the bells and whistles.
  • Sandra
    Dedicated September 2021
    Sandra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's fantastic! Happy to know someone else in the same situation! I might even end up joining you in 2022 if I end up needing to postpone the wedding lol. Hard to know right now!

• Claudia
    Dedicated November 2021
    Claudia ·
    • Flag
    We had to push back our wedding to November of this year and will have a super intimate ceremony and champagne/cake reception of around 15. We're not doing a big vow renewal/anniversary party afterwards but that's because we want to spend that money towards a house and adoption. If having a big wedding makes sense for you two, do it! There's no right or wrong, it's what makes sense for the couple.
  • Ruth
    Beginner November 2022
    Ruth ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I totally understand! There’s a lot going on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles