We originally scheduled our honeymoon to be in Japan and South Korea. Due to the coronavirus outbreak we changed our honeymoon to Italy(Rome and Venice)/Paris/London. Well now there is a big outbreak in Italy.
Our honeymoon will be in a month, and I’m getting stressed out about changing the plans again. Maybe I can remove Italy, even though I was looking forward to Italy the most. I’m just afraid that if I change my honeymoon again, next thing you know there is an outbreak in France or anywhere else I choose. What would you do in this case? Just go anyways and whatever happens happens. Would you cancel the honeymoon to Europe and go somewhere else?
Realistically as long as you don't already have a compromised immune system (cancer, autoimmune disorders, or things like that) and are practicing proper hand washing, don't go out if you're sick, don't touch your face with unwashed hands etc, you will be fine. The coronavirus has been around for decades, it's nothing new. This particular strain sucks worse than others but it is no different than the flu or other respiratory viruses where some years are worse than others.
The only thing is traveling while having to be very cautious is annoying. I have a trip planned to South Korea this June and I may cancel. I agree no different than a regular flu but being sick while abroad is miserable...trust me. Can you do a mini honeymoon local (even plan travel can spread the virus via air circulation) and then postpone for the fall? I agree with this poster that this is not new rather a strain but do you want to be on your honeymoon and potentially sick? I would just postpone.
Honestly, I would still go.. but that's just me. It's a really personal decision. I believe the spread in Italy is currently in the North- so you could specifically avoid that and just enjoy Rome and the Amalfi Coast instead if possible. Maybe just avoid major sights in the Northern areas- Milan, Venice, etc.
I would be worried about traveling anywhere internationally, if you are even able to. Borders are being shut down all over. If you are able to get out, it is a very real possibility that you may not be allowed back in. I know it is not the best alternative but maybe do something in the states for now then plan something else when things settle back down.
View Quoted Comment
This is simply not true. There are several people infected with the coronavirus that have been sent to my state for quarantine and treatment. It’s one of the worst cases they’ve dealt with and the US is no longer offering US citizens passage home for treatment, because it is much worse than China reported.
We were married when the Swine flu was intensifying in Mexico, & had originally planned on HM there. Changed it to Punta Cana & had a great time. If we were in your situation now, I think we would either mini-moon it in the states & do Europe later, as someone else suggested, or just do big in the states now. There are really so many beautiful options in our vast country, & it’s just a backdrop to some special time for you and your new hubby.
That sucks so bad that you guys are going through this. Especially since its your honeymoon that you have to consider changing or postponing. And especially since you really wanted to do Italy.
Its a real bummer. As said above, the decision is up to you though. Do you think you'd be able to enjoy your travel to Italy knowing that there are cases of people with the virus there. Will you still be able to go knowing that there is a chance that you'll be introduced to the virus. If yes then go, if you wont feel comfortable because you have the fears I stated above then don't go..
Try someplace in your country of someplace closer for now...like the Caribbean , south america ..or just wait this out and then go to Italy when things get better.
My fiance and I decided to drive to Disneyland California. We are also going to Universal Studios Hollywood and the beach! Then on our way back we might be stopping in Flagstaff. I suggest doing something within the states but something adventurous!!!
We have a cruise to Italy (Rome roundtrip) and Greece booked in July. We booked this cruise probably a year ago, before the proposal even. Thankful we did opt for trip insurance, but I REALLY don't want to cancel. I'm also keeping an eye on the situation and it is in north Italy (Milan area).
I would postpone a honeymoon out of the US at this point. My friend has a trip planned to Cambodia in 2 weeks, and though Cambodia does not currently have an issue, his layover is in South Korea, therefore, that flight might be cancelled. So regardless of where your final destination is, you also have to consider connecting flights. At this point, it is just too much of a risk. There is nothing wrong with post-posting the honeymoon and doing a mini-moon right now.
I am in the same boat. We really wanted to go to Japan for our honeymoon in June, but with the coronavirus outbreak we decided to hold off on that until things settle. We're now planning a Disney World vacation in Florida and are hopefully moving our Japan trip to next year.
I personally would not plan on traveling outside of North America in general for the time being. I have heard about people being quarantined on cruise boats and traveling so far in an airplane with this threat is worrisome. I would postpone the Europe Honeymoon for now and just be safe. You can also go at a better time in the future!