We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Chelsea
Devoted October 2020

Cook or Cater?

Chelsea, on September 13, 2020 at 9:39 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 11
Saved Save
Like many couples, we're having a backyard minimony instead of the larger wedding celebration this year. There will be less than 10 people (including our officiant, photographer, videographer and us).

Our morning wedding will be folled by brunch, which is an easy meal for us to whip up and save quite a bit. I've cooked more for family events.
Knowing the amount of people, would you still cater? Maybe half and half? Cook it for such a small #?
For reference, prices I've been getting are $45-50 per half pan. I know we can beat that with a little labor of love.
Thanks for your input!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Jai Butcher, on September 13, 2020 at 7:56 PM
  • Super August 2020
    ·
    • Flag
    Cater it, definitely. It will be more expensive than cooking, but it will be worth it because there's so much less stress and it makes it feel more formal and special. Also, when we were planning ours, my mom said, "there's no way I'm carrying a tray of hot food in my formal dress," and I think most people would have a similar feeling, even if they were more willing to help.
  • Michelle
    Expert May 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

Cater! It will allow you to enjoy and relax. Also with covid and stuff it would be better to have professional food services. My SO has a real problem eating other people home cooking. Some people may just feel more at ease with professional food services.

• Chelsea
    Devoted October 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I agree and funny you mention this, mine had a concern with any other cooking due to covid, restaurants included. But we have a few solid places we've eaten at plenty of times and I think I'm getting him to come around.
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I agree with the previous comments - get it catered! It'll be one less thing that you'd have to worry about that day. I think the less stress, the better!
  • Chelsea
    Devoted October 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Chelsea
    Devoted October 2020
    Chelsea ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Hermione
    Expert February 2020
    Hermione ·
    • Flag
    Cater or take out.

Or you could do an easy set up like brunch trays and fruit trays at the grocery / nice breakfast place.
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    Cater. It’s not about can or can’t it’s about giving yourself the best experience on your wedding day. Eliminate anything you can to reduce stress— ie don’t take on preparing a big meal. Pamper yourself! Let yourself relax and enjoy the day and be able to really be present instead of worrying about food prep. You’re going to be busy on your wedding day...getting married !
  • Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Cater 100%! Most people do not have time or expertise to cook for a large crowd. On your wedding day, the last thing you need is to cook your own food. Also, any family/friends who are working, be it cooking or anything else, will not be able to enjoy a minute of your wedding as a guest. If cost is a concern, call up your favorite restaurant. Nearly all of them cater for a fraction of the price of a wedding caterer with better and more food. Your friends and family get to relax and enjoy themselves.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I would rather cater to just take less stress and time from myself
  • Jai Butcher
    Rockstar May 2020
    Jai Butcher ·
    • Flag
    I like the catering idea! You can cater from local places : chic-fila breakfast, dunkin doughnuts, pastries n muffins from grocery store, or even see what a local diner could do!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics