Lauren
Dedicated December 2019

Contract - Service Charge/tip Question

Lauren, on October 17, 2019 at 3:31 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 9
Saved Save

This is an excerpt from our contract and just want a second opinion that the service charge DOES include tip. After reading so many times, it becomes blurred and confusing.

"A service charge, currently 23% of the total food and beverage revenue(plus all applicable taxes) will be added to all food and beverage charges. Included as part of the service charge is a gratuity (currently 15% of total food and beverage revenue) that is paid directly to food and beverage service staff. The remainder of the service charge is retained by Hotel to cover non-itemized costs of the event. No other fee or charge, including administration fees, set up fees, labor fees, or bartender or food station fees, is a tip, gratuity, or service charge for any employee".

So, I'm reading this as the tip for our servers/bartenders is included, is that right? Or do we tip on top of the service charge? We will have separate bills for the bar tab & the food.

Thanks! I can always ask but wanted to check w/other brides first!

9 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

It does include a 15% tip for the service staff.

• Amber
    Master February 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag

Yes, 15% of that 23% service charge counts as a tip.

• Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Yes ! The tip is included
  • Mcskipper
    Master July 2018
    Mcskipper ·
    • Flag
    A tip at 15% is definitely included, yes. You are
    welcome to tip on top of that if you wish to for great service. I’d probably personally be inclined to throw a little extra cash day of to anyone that went above and beyond. Since you say your food and bar tab are separate, I’d just verify with them specifically that that tip is shared with the bartenders as well.
  • E
    Devoted November 2019
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    You should definitely ask the company. I asked mine and even with all the fees, none of them go to gratuity. They told me they were glad I asked. I think it’s always better to ask than assume.
  • M
    Savvy May 2020
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    I'm definitely reading this as the gratuity is included in the service charge, so you would not need to pay any additional on top of this 23% service charge.
  • B
    October 2019
    BHP Oct ·
    • Flag

FINALLY!!! The same verbiage on my contract, and I read it 6x over and was literally convinced I didn't need to leave additional gratuity which I really didn't want to because my contract states, 24% service fee of which 17.5% is paid to the staff. I read through so many articles and wasn't getting a clear answer, and I agree with what everyone else says no additional gratuity is required. I think the biggest tip, no pun intended, was how would I calculate the tip to the bartender when I am paying a price per head to the hotel which includes food and beverage, it's literally impossible?

I was thrown off by:

No other fee or charge, including administration fees, set up fees, labor fees, or bartender or food station fees, is a tip, gratuity, or service charge for any employee".

• Alyssa
    Expert June 2020
    Alyssa ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is legal jargon thrown in to convince you to over tip. Any service fee that high is designed to make sure you won’t cheap out and NOT tip the staff so they build it in.

My contract is similar so I had my moms boss (an attorney) read it. We aren’t tipping any extra.
  • B
    October 2019
    BHP Oct ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Confirmed by an attorney? I am 110% good! Thank you!

Comment on this discussion