Michelle
Just Said Yes April 2020

Contemplating postponing May wedding. Advice or tips welcome on how to approach vendors and venue about postponement

Michelle, on March 18, 2020 at 4:18 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 5
Saved

Hi all,

I am having a wedding on May 24, 2020 in Arlington, VA. The CDC recommends we postpone any gatherings greater than 50 people for the next 8 weeks. We are considering postponing our wedding to a later date but are unsure of how to approach our vendors and venue about this idea without losing out money or paying extra. Do any of you future brides-to-be have any experience with this? Any tips, recommendations, and stories appreciated!

5 Comments

Latest activity by Joyce, on March 22, 2020 at 6:36 PM
  • Laura
    Champion June 2010
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I know this is a difficult time for so many couples. I'm sorry you're going through this. We now have a community hub of all our COVID-19 information, including cancellation guides, monthly planning posts, and advice on how to get additional support. I hope it will help you navigate through things during this difficult time!

• Danielle
    Expert May 2021
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    That's tough. Our wedding is May 23, 2020 the say before yours. I'm not cancelling a thing unless forced. That's 60+days away I'm praying everyday things well be different. I think kids will be back in school n all will be well by then.
  • Alba
    Just Said Yes September 2021
    Alba ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Same girl! Hope everything plays in our favor.
  • Ellen
    Dedicated September 2020
    Ellen ·
    • Flag
    We recently postponed our 5/9 wedding to 8:1 - we made the call last Sunday. Our plan was:

1) Rank vendors in order of importance: we personally made venue #1 (cost) and photog #2 (we love her) - those were our two that we 100% wanted to make sure we retained.
    2) We reached out to both and asked if they would be willing to reschedule, if there were any additional costs - thankfully, they both agreed without question due to the circumstances. We asked both for available dates in 2020. They both had 8/1 open, so we asked for updated contacts ASAP to lock in the date.
    3) Next we reached out to Flower Moxie, hair/MUA, limo & DJ to reschedule. We were able to move all of them, however the Dj is a new person now from the same company.
    4) Hotel Block: we had to notify all guests to cancel they current rooms, as we are booking a new block.
    5) Updated our website and personally called/texted/emailed every guest (170) to let them know of the change.

It was emotional and a lot of work, but we know we made the right call, and we are really happy.
  • Joyce
    Dedicated October 2020
    Joyce ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Exactly this!

I’d also recommend reading your contracts to see if there’s anything in there that would cover this.I’ve heard of some folks doing Doodles to figure out which new dates work for all vendors. I emailed all of mine with a list of dates. Once our new date was set, we sent out emails through our website informing guests of the change.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics