M
Just Said Yes October 2022

Chinese Tea Ceremony Timeline

Magie, on October 13, 2021 at 1:41 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 3
Saved
Hi all! My FH (Filipino) and I (Chinese) want to have a tea ceremony the day of our wedding and need help with planning our timeline!

Ideally, we want to have the tea ceremony earlier in the day with our parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles. For our ceremony, we are doing it with just our immediate family, so no aunts/uncles. And obviously, our reception will be much bigger with everyone! We want to have the tea ceremony and honor my Chinese culture and really, none of my siblings/cousins have had one, so I want to also do it for my family. BUT we also don’t want all of our family, who we aren’t close with, at the ceremony. We really want to have it be a private intimate moment and then the party w everyone.
Help please! How do I get this all done? And not upset people?!

3 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on October 14, 2021 at 2:49 PM
  • Samantha
    Expert October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    Question, do you mean that after the Tea Ceremony you want to then have the actual marriage ceremony without everyone else? If so I don't see that as a big problem since (in our culture) the Tea Ceremony is such a huge part of the day. In my family the vows/registry signing are secondary. Since the Tea Ceremony is in the morning, you could have your Marriage ceremony in the afternoon and reception in the evening. If there are a lot of out of town guests, I would treat them to a nice lunch or activity for the gap between Tea Ceremony and Reception.
  • I_Do_Too
    Devoted September 2020
    I_Do_Too ·
    • Flag
    Agree with the above. Or have the tea ceremony on one day and reception the next.
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Hi Magie! As long as these are all separate events I think you should be fine!

Just make sure there's a decent break between the tea ceremony and the wedding ceremony so your family members can disperse instead of heading together to the next event!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics