We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Allaura
Devoted April 2021

Chandelier Cake

Allaura, on August 7, 2019 at 4:24 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 19
Saved Save
Ok has anyone had one of these or seen one of these before? They look super cool but I’d be worried about like it falling or melting or something. Anyone have any insight into the logistics of something like this? Could the stand be something I DIY?

Chandelier Cake 1

19 Comments

• Dayna
    Expert March 2021
    Dayna ·
    • Flag

I am not a professional by any means but I watch way too many baking shows and bake a bit myself. You would use a cake board underneath each tier with a rod through the middle, and connect the hook at the top to the rod. I think you could DIY the stand as long as you know the general weight and height of the cake. It looks to me like they probably used a plant hanger stand of some type. I don't think you would be at risk of melting any more than a regular cake, although getting knocked into or having an unstable table might be more of a risk. I'm sure your guests would find it really cool and different!

• Michaela
    Super May 2020
    Michaela ·
    • Flag

That would be a statement piece for sure! I've never seen anything like it

• Jessica
    VIP September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I’ve only ever seen them in pictures and in some baking challenge tv show. My concern would be weight, cake is heavy especially with all the frosting and fillings! My MOH and I have experience making tiered wedding cakes and decorative b-day cakes, but I’m not sure I’d tackle a chandelier cake. I’m sure there are tutorials on YouTube though, I’d definitely go a trial run well before! They are certainly show-stoppers!
  • H
    Super September 2019
    H ·
    • Flag
    I've never seen or heard this but it is really interesting for sure! Maybe try contacting a local bakery to see if they have any insight?
  • Jennifer
    Super September 2020
    Jennifer ·
    • Flag
    This is one of those things that would be best done as a display mock cake with a sheet cake to cut and serve in the back. I went to culinary for pastry art and love the artistic, funky stuff. However, I would decline this one if I were asked to attempt it with real cake that I was expected to cut and serve.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2020
    Kellie ·
    • Flag
    I’ve never seen anything like this. Very unique idea, but it gives me anxiety lol
  • Allaura
    Devoted April 2021
    Allaura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

My Fiance is making the cake at his work (he works in a bakery lol) and he feel confident about it. I love it and I would love to have one I guess I'm just not sold on it yet lol Since he's my baker though I guess I should trust him that they can do this lol

• H
    Super September 2019
    H ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I bet he would have a blast trying to replicate it though!
  • Destiny
    Rockstar May 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag

Netflix sugar rush season 2 has an episode where they do it its a stand that has dowles that go thru the cake and screw into a plate and connects to the other one

• Allaura
    Devoted April 2021
    Allaura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Cool! Thanks I'll have to watch that! Smiley smile Yay for excuses to watch Netflix!!!

• Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    Because cake is heavy I would suspect not all of it is real. I'd be so anxious looking at that all through dinner 🤣
    It'd be a sight for sure
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    It’s very unique and interesting but I’m not sure how they would cut it.
  • Destiny
    Rockstar May 2020
    Destiny ·
    • Flag
    This is what the stands generally look like

Chandelier Cake 2

Chandelier Cake 3
  • Cortney
    Just Said Yes July 2020
    Cortney ·
    • Flag
    This is a very unique idea. I can only imagine finding ways to cut it lol. Good luck 😍
  • P
    Dedicated March 2020
    Patricia ·
    • Flag
    That’s a great idea. I’m a pastry chef and I would say use either fake tiers ( styrofoam) or rice Krispy treats and then For the cutting ceremony just bring a small cake from the back to cut from. And for your guest I would just say have a sheet cake for the catering company to cut from there. If you don’t want you guest to know have them take the upside down cake from the back. I’m just worried about gravity with being out like that for so long.
  • Erin
    Devoted June 2019
    Erin ·
    • Flag

I think it would end up being a styrofoam cake. But, whether it's real or fake, I see it as being quite pricey.

• Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

WOW Allaura! I have never seen a wedding cake like this before! It's so unique!!

If you decide to go in this direction, I hope you share a photo with us! I'd love to see how it turns out😍

• Aurora
    Dedicated July 2020
    Aurora ·
    • Flag

We are planning on doing a chandelier wedding cake too, and a geode style! Saw it on a baking show "sugar rush" from netflix haha. Good luck!!!

• Allaura
    Devoted April 2021
    Allaura ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Hahaha I watched that episode! It actually made me feel a lot better about it. My fiance is a baker and wants to do this. Since he's the one baking it and stuff I feel like if he's confident in it so am I. He hasn't been interested in much about the wedding so I'm going to let him run with the cake lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles