Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Just Said Yes May 2020

Chair Covers for Bucket Chairs

Kimberly, on May 14, 2019 at 11:19 AM Posted in Do It Yourself 0 7
We are having our wedding reception at a community center that has these god-awful bucket chairs. Our budget won't allow for renting other ones. I'm thinking of making my own chair covers for these aince they are totally opposite our color scheme. Thoughts on how to make them? I figured I could take a rectangle of fabric, drape it over and tie it with a bow at the back.

Chair Covers for Bucket Chairs 1

7 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsey, on May 15, 2019 at 11:18 AM
  • MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Honestly, I don't think the expense and time to make chair covers is going to be less than the cost of renting chairs. I'd either comparison shop for possible rental options that you could save for and add to the budget or just live with the chairs. Once the room is set up, and especially when people are sitting in them, you'll be shocked how little the chairs are going to matter. (FYI daughter's wedding was in a fairly high-end venue. Nice, dark brown fruitwood folding chairs for the ceremony were less than $3 a chair and gold Chivaris for the reception were $5.) I'd estimate you'll need at LEAST 2-3 yards of fabric for each chair (and, honestly, I think it will be more than that) then you'll have to go to the work of cutting (and potentially sewing) the fabric for each chair. If you just tie them, I think you're going to have a really hard time getting them to fit right and not look like you threw a bunch of sheets over some chairs. When people sit in them, the fabric is going to move around and potentially look pretty messy and be a tripping hazard. I'm not saying this to be mean, but I have a fair amount of sewing experience and I don't think you're going to get a result that is better looking than the chairs as they are without a LOT of time & $. Good luck!

• Lauren
    VIP September 2019
    Lauren ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

Wish.com has some cheap-ish chair covers. I'm not sure what budget you were thinking but it still looks to be $3/chair.

• Victoria
    VIP October 2018
    Victoria ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Are the chairs red or brown? Hard to tell in the photo.

People won't notice your chairs. I know for our wedding we had chiavari chairs, but I can't remember if they were gold or wood colored. I can't remember chairs from any of the other many weddings I've gone to either. Once you put on a tablecloth and decorate the room they'll be fine. And as MOB above said, covering chairs with material will be very expensive. Even with the cheapest fabric, a couple yards per chair is probably more than the cost of renting chairs, if you're really set against the chairs the community center provides.
  • Maria
    Super October 2019
    Maria ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

The cheapest option I can think of us covering them with some black or white tulle and tying in a nice pattern. I agree that chairs don't matter. My reception hall has black folding chairs. They don't look great with the ivory tablecloths but no one will care as long as they can sit Smiley smile

• Tiara
    Expert October 2018
    Tiara ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    I think your chairs are fine as is. What a great space!
  • Crystal
    Just Said Yes January 2020
    Crystal ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content
    Have you tried looking at thrift stores? I've seen lots of wedding decor including chair covers donated.
  • Kelsey
    Dedicated September 2019
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    • Hide content

I agree with PPs - the chairs really don't matter. Once people are in them, no one is going to care. If you really really feel strongly about doing something to them, I'd go with the tulle suggestion, treating it like a sash is normally used - tied around the back of the chair with maybe some baby's breath in the knot.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics