Jo
Just Said Yes February 2020

Ceremony Start Time

Jo, on November 15, 2019 at 1:10 AM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 1 32
Saved Save
What is your opinion on putting an hour and a half ahead start time on the wedding invitations to ensure that guests arrive on time and are seated prior to the bridal party walking in? The ceremony starts at 6:00 pm and I plan to put 4:30 on the invites. Guests will be entertained in the sanctuary with music and a slideshow of our pictures.

32 Comments

• E
    Just Said Yes January 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    An hour and a half seems very excessive. Personally, if I showed up and that happened, I would walk out after 45 minutes or so, unless it was an immediate family member. Do you have a day-of coordinator? They shoo everyone in and close doors before the party enters.
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I agree that 1.5 hours is too long, despite the entertainment. I think 30 min would be the longest acceptable false start time
  • Ann
    Devoted September 2021
    Ann ·
    • Flag
    I think this is a great idea but I think that’s a little long. I would do a half hour!
  • Sarah
    VIP September 2019
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    I would do 30 minutes at the most. I always get to weddings early so if an invite says 4:30, I’m getting there at 4. If I’m there for 45 minutes to an hour and the ceremony hasn’t started yet, I’m going to assume one or both of you has changed your mind and leave.
  • Brandi
    Devoted November 2020
    Brandi ·
    • Flag
    That’s too long. Thirty-minutes is acceptable.
  • Amber
    Super September 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I agree with everyone else definitely way to long to wait. Most of the time people either arrive early or be a few minutes late. Sometimes people don't show up to the ceremony but show up later at the reception.
  • KiwiDerbyBride
    VIP May 2015
    KiwiDerbyBride ·
    • Flag

Way, way, way too long. If you make me wait 90 minutes, I’m going to be hangry. And probably very thirsty as well. Trust adults to be adults. Unless you have friends or family members who are perpetually late, just put your ceremony start time as the start time. Adults know to be on time or early - if i see a 6pm start time I’ll be there at 5:30pm most likely.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

That's outrageous. I would arrive at 4 for a 4:30 ceremony and can guarantee that I would leave long before 6 pm. Your guests are (at least mostly) adults. Tell them the time that the event begins.

• C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy ·
    • Flag
    I would be so mad. I’ve waited 30 min plus for weddings to start and was upset then. I couldn’t imagine 90 minutes. I’d start to think you called it off.
    Also a slideshow will not keep people entertained for that long.
  • Alisha
    Expert August 2020
    Alisha ·
    • Flag
    I agree with everyone. An hour and half is too long for any guests to sit for a wedding. I would give maybe an half hour for guests to wait.
  • Sylvana
    Savvy August 2020
    Sylvana ·
    • Flag
    An hour and a half is really excessive. If you're going to do a false start time, do 15 min to 30 min early.
  • Mrs. Sarantos
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. Sarantos ·
    • Flag
    I would put the actual start time.
  • Cyndy
    Rockstar May 2019
    Cyndy ·
    • Flag
    Personally I would just put the start time. People are smart enough to show up on time for a wedding. Some people may not want to stand around and watch a slide show or might have other commitments that day prior to your wedding. You then run the risk of people saying they can’t come because they are afraid they will miss it. Just something to think about.
  • Ivy ORP
    VIP October 2019
    Ivy ORP ·
    • Flag

As others have said, that is entirely too long. If you have people that are often THAT late, pull them aside and ask them to arrive by Xtime. I typically arrive 20-30 minutes early and see many others do the same. Also, most weddings tend to start about 10-15 minutes late. If you want your ceremony to start at 6:00 you can put 5:30 at the earliest, but only if you believe you will be ready to go at 6 and no later.

• Kaysey
    Expert February 2020
    Kaysey ·
    • Flag

I think a hour and a half is too long of a wait before the ceremony begins. I would do a half hour max. Anything longer than that and your guests can start getting upset/annoyed and some may leave.

• Meghan
    Rockstar October 2019
    Meghan ·
    • Flag

Unless you state somewhere that this is a “cocktail hour” and will be providing food and drinks for your guests, then please don’t do this! If your wedding starts at 6:00 p.m. then you should put 6:00 p.m. on your invitation. If you would like to have some sort of pre-ceremony event, that needs to me made very clear on your invitation so guests can choose if they would like to partake in that.

• Danielle
    Devoted May 2020
    Danielle ·
    • Flag
    Absolutely not. No guest will be ok with waiting that long. It's almost absurd.
  • Melle
    Champion June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    I also agree that's really excessive.
  • Kendra
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kendra ·
    • Flag
    If I was invited to a wedding wear I showed up 1.5 hours before the ceremony I would be upset. I think if you put a half hour before the ceremony on the invitation, or just play it by ear and walk once it’s settled. Because there are plenty of people who show up early.
  • M
    Devoted January 2019
    Maggie ·
    • Flag

Chiming in with everyone else that this is a very flawed plan. You are planning to punish the punctual to accommodate the chronically late and that is poor hosting. Not to mention that "music and a slideshow" is not actually entertaining for 1.5 to 2 hours (since MANY people will show up half an hour before they think your ceremony is starting). Please rethink.

Comment on this discussion

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

WeddingWire article topics