Emily
Just Said Yes October 2019

Ceremony Scripture Reading

Emily, on September 27, 2019 at 11:01 AM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 1 5
Saved

My FH and I are Christian and we will be having a scripture reading during our ceremony (Ephesians 5:22-33) which says,

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.[a] 28 In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30 because we are members of his body. 31 “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” 32 This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33 However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

My FH is concerned his groomsmen will be making jokes all night long about how I need to obey his every command now that we're married. He is concerned because they did this at another buddies wedding. I'm just looking for a quick comeback that will quiet them up, if anyone has any ideas!

Just to be clear, my FH does NOT expect me to become his servant and obey his every command (nor does our officiant). This is a traditional scripture read at weddings and it will be part of the officiants homily.

5 Comments

Latest activity by Christie, on September 28, 2019 at 1:41 PM
  • Sabrina
    Devoted April 2020
    Sabrina ·
    • Flag

Combacks:

"The way you submit to your wife/gf....[O wait, you don't have one]"

"I submit to her and she submits to me....its called respect"

"I don't command my wife, I respect my wife"

• Hannah
    Devoted December 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag

I'm not good with comebacks, but I would probably say something to the effect of "one day, when you find a wife, you will understand the meaning behind those words". Also, boys will be boys and it's just a thing for them to all tease each other, so just let it roll off your back. My FH's family (brothers) have teased him the whole engagement talking about "why you signing your life away" and "its a trap, run!". But it has all been in good fun. They all fully support us, it's just what they do.

• October2019
    Dedicated October 2019
    October2019 ·
    • Flag
    I wouldn't respond. Let your husband. Either they are just being silly and so you could just ignore it or they are being serious in which case they probably don't understand those verses and you shouldn't waste your time trying to come up with something to snap back at them.
  • W-K
    Super October 2019
    W-K ·
    • Flag

This is something that's been preached on over and over lately at my church for some reason. My comeback would be "Yeah, I'll submit to him but he has to die for me."

I'm actually incorporating Ephesians 5:22 into my wedding vows. The more I study the meaning of this passage the more I love it.

• Christie
    Dedicated October 2019
    Christie ·
    • Flag
    Could there be an alternate translation that could be used? Maybe assist or respect or love?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics