NextChapterReady
Super October 2019

Catholic Wedding Music?!?

NextChapterReady, on June 5, 2019 at 9:58 AM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved Save

We have to start figuring out the music for our Catholic ceremony and I'm having so much trouble picking out songs! Particularly for when I walk down the aisle and for the recessional. Can anyone share your music? (It has to be hymns or limited classical options and cannot be secular)

6 Comments

• MOB So Cal
    January 2019
    MOB So Cal ·

I think both Ode to Joy and Canon in D are gorgeous classical pieces. I'd guess both might meet the church's requirements. Either would also be amazing on an organ!

• Peggy
    Master November 2019
    Peggy Online ·
    Agree with pp, plus Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring, Ave Maria (Bach or Schubert), Arioso by Bach, La Rejouissance, Rondeau by Mouret, Be Thou My Vision are all good options
  • NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    View Quoted Comment

Oh that's a good point! We are having an organ and I definitely want to use it to it's fullest haha!

• NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you! We are using Ave Maria in the ceremony itself an Be Thou My Vision was one I was considering! I'll have to listen to the others!

• Kate
    Dedicated November 2019
    Kate ·

I'm also having a Catholic wedding and have been thinking about "O God Beyond All Praising" for the recessional. A friend used it for her recessional at a Catholic wedding several years ago, and I loved it! It is set to the same tune as the main theme of the 4th movement (Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity) from Gustav Holst's The Planets. The 1st & 3rd verses are traditional for weddings.

I played piano for a friend's Christian wedding in 2015, and used the main theme from Xerxes (opera) for the processional, and Simple Gifts (from Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring) for the recessional.

• NextChapterReady
    Super October 2019
    NextChapterReady ·
    View Quoted Comment

That sounds very interesting, especially the "O God Beyond All Praising!" I'll have to listen to that! I appreciate the advice

Comment on this discussion