We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Mayra
Savvy May 2021

Catholic Annulment

Mayra, on January 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Posted in Wedding Ceremony 0 13
Saved Save
Hello. I was married in the Catholic Church and have been divorced 5 years now. My fiancée proposed and he’s never been married and wants to do it in the church. I have to go through the annulment process and just wanted to know if anyone has gone through it and how long the process was. Thank you.

13 Comments

Latest activity by Shirley, on September 17, 2020 at 9:57 PM
  • Anna
    Super April 2020
    Anna ·
    • Flag

My fh had to go through it. He sent in his application in Nov. He got approved by June. He would call all the time to check the status. But i remember telling him, he better get it approved before my surgery. If i die, i don't want to go to Hell lol. Another church member also applied and got it. He was married to his wife for i don't know how many years. They even have kids. He said his took about the same time. But it also depends on the dioceses and how many applications there are. But their speeding them up, so i wouldn't worry about it. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

• K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    Like PP said, it all depends on the diocese but not to be negative, I do know someone who is going on 3 years now and still isn’t completed. Mine was a different type of annulment since I had never been baptized so mine only took 3 months. Talk with your parish, they should have someone that does all the annulments and can answer your questions.
  • Mayra
    Savvy May 2021
    Mayra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! I did hear that it’s quicker than before now.
  • Mayra
    Savvy May 2021
    Mayra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you. Oh no I wont wait 3 yrs I’ll go to a chapel lol
  • V
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

If you and your former spouse were both baptized Catholics and married in a Catholic church, it will most likely take longer than if one of you is was not Catholic, baptized, etc. Also, is your former husband going to participate in the process without reservation? If one of the parties does not want the annulment or is uncooperative, that also adds time.

• Mayra
    Savvy May 2021
    Mayra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hi. Yes we’re both Catholic and have our sacraments. He said he’d do whatever to make it fast (we’ll see). He already re married (civil wedding). Do the reasons for the divorce matter? Unfaithfulness, physical abuse etc?
  • V
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    In every case where an annulment is granted, it has to meet certain grounds. The Archdiocese of Atlanta has a page that outlines them: https://archatl.com/offices/metropolitan-tribunal/grounds-of-marriage-nullity/ It honestly depends on the answers you give on the inquiry and whether the tribunal believes that you meet any of these grounds. In certain cases, like unfaithfulness, mental illness, abuse, etc, I think tribunals generally reach a consensus quickly. I think they also reach a consensus quickly if neither party is contesting, but that depends on the diocese.
  • Mayra
    Savvy May 2021
    Mayra ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ok thank you. I’m going to look into it.
  • Sarah
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Hey Katie! I am Catholic and my fiancé isn’t baptized. Did you have to do the witnesses and stuff that I’ve read about? Just curious. We haven’t started the process yet.
  • K
    Expert October 2020
    Katie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I did only on my side of the family not my ex husbands.

But with that said, when I started my annulment, I had a protection order against my ex and I spoke directly to the tribunal about the severity of them contacting my ex. They completely understood and just took witness statements from my mom and dad that they had heard my ex say he did not believe in god and that he was an atheist so there was no need for them to go any further. My annulment was a Pauline Privilege which means that it is the dissolution of a marriage of two persons non-baptized at the time the marriage occurred.
    This does make it easier. But every parish’s/diocese is different.
  • Sarah
    Just Said Yes October 2021
    Sarah ·
    • Flag
    Thank you so much for the response!!
  • Shirley
    Devoted November 2020
    Shirley ·
    • Flag
    I have a friend doing a clear-cut annulment (she hid a mental illness from him until they were married and is now in need of intensive mental health services and cannot care for their infant). It has still taken about a year. Some diocese are serious about proving there was never a marriage to begin with and do extensive interviews. Others are quick and east
  • Shirley
    Devoted November 2020
    Shirley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes the reasons matter very much. The Church bound you for life (they do pre-cana to make sure you know that), so annulment isn't a divorce, it's a process of proving that your marriage wasn't valid in the first place because you didn't enter into it freely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles