Maria
Dedicated June 2020

Catering

Maria, on January 18, 2020 at 8:30 PM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved

Hi everyone! I have a question for those that have or are planning on serving a buffet-style for their wedding. So my fiance and I decided to cater from a few different places, but are not sure how much of each food/entree we should order. We're thinking about having about 7-8 different entrees. Our guest list is at 200 but I'm sure will be less once we get our RSVPs back. Any advice or tips is much appreciated, thanks!

7 Comments

Latest activity by Maria, on January 19, 2020 at 9:49 AM
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    We had a buffet. My caterer ordered for us one serving per guest of each thing. I thought that was crazy because not everyone will take one of each thing. But...almost all the food was gone at the end of the night so I think it was pretty accurate.
  • Maria
    Dedicated June 2020
    Maria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh that's interesting. Did you have servers or did your guests serve themselves?
  • Mrs. S
    Master November 2019
    Mrs. S ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We hired servers
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Figuring this out on your own is hard enough, having 7 of 8 entrees makes it pretty near impossible. I can’t think of any way to do it besides guess, but I would absolutely limit it it to 2-3 entrees.
  • Emily
    Devoted May 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    We have 200 guests and our caterer said 3-4 different types of entree would be enough. Our is Italian food so it’s 4 different types of pasta. It is a Buffet line. We are having someone put the pasta on the guests plates though.

I have been to so many weddings with Buffet lines and guests end up taking too much and then it gets thrown away.
  • Taylor
    Savvy September 2021
    Taylor ·
    • Flag
    I was just given good advice by a bakery - they suggested only 3 types of cupcakes, not more. If there are more options, people are likely to eat more than the allotted serving per person because they want to try all the different kinds. I think that same logic could be applied to a buffet and you might end up spending more than you need to!
  • Maria
    Dedicated June 2020
    Maria ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh good point! Thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics