We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Meredith
Just Said Yes July 2019

Card Box Advice

Meredith, on August 1, 2019 at 5:55 PM Posted in Style and Décor 0 10
Saved Save

Hi all- I just wanted to offer a little advice for card boxes at your weddings. I just had my wedding last weekend and it was absolutely amazing but we did have a bit of a mishap with our card box.

At some point later in the night, someone (likely a staff member of one of our vendors) stole a bunch of cards from our card box- which we know happened since a couple of our guests handed cards directly to our coordinator when she was cleaning up the gift table, and those last few cards were among the missing when we opened everything after the wedding.

I have heard stories about this happening to a lot of people, but wasn't worried about it because we had our wedding at a private estate, which was very secure, and it still happened to us. We had a beautiful glass terrarium as the card box that had an open top which definitely gave someone easy access.

Please please please get a card box that just has a small opening or a lock so this doesn't happen to you. Also make sure that it is always attended when it is being packed up, because we are almost certain that the theft occurred while the coordinators were gathering and putting all of the decor away at the end of the night. We don't care as much about not receiving the gifts as we care about having to contact people to cancel any checks that were in the envelopes, etc., and we wont see some of the kind messages that our friends and family wrote in the cards.

One of my bridesmaids an an assistant coordinator also had cash stolen from their purses which were in the bridal suite, so make sure if you leave anything unattended at your wedding it is locked away. As much as we trust all of the vendors, you don't meet all of the staff beforehand and never know if someone will have ulterior motives.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Martelle, on August 7, 2019 at 2:59 PM
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle Online ·
    • Flag
    That is good advice. We had one at my wedding and my husband was afraid of that happening. Once everyone was seated we took the box and deposited the contents into another bag and our relative held onto the bag the entire night in her own purse and returned it to us before she left for the night. I've seen people get the whole box stolen before.
  • Kelly
    VIP October 2020
    Kelly ·
    • Flag
    That really sucks. I'm sorry to hear about it. I'll be sure to get a good box!
  • Erika
    Expert April 2019
    Erika ·
    • Flag
    Wow that's terrible! Sorry that happened to you. Luckily we had only a small slot open on our card box and we had the required police officer guard it. Man, the nerve of people! That's really just sad.
  • Sinéad
    WeddingWire Administrator January 2025
    Sinéad ·
    • Flag

Hi Meredith! Congratulations on your marriage! I’m so sorry that this happened to you!

I’m happy to hear that you had such a wonderful day, despite this awful occurrence. Thank you for coming back to offer such practical advice!

• M
    Devoted October 2019
    Melodie ·
    • Flag
    Oh that just stinks. I’m sorry that happened!
  • Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

Oh my goodness, that's awful! I'm so sorry this happened to you and your guests!

• Courtney
    Master December 2019
    Courtney ·
    • Flag

Excellent advice! We plan on getting the parents done with cocktail hour pictures first so that they can help the coordinator pack up some items before the reception starts.

• Hannah
    Rockstar July 2019
    Hannah ·
    • Flag
    This is why we got a wood card box and attached a small master lock to it. I'm so sorry this happened to you.
  • Ashley
    Super October 2020
    Ashley ·
    • Flag

What a horrible story. I am sorry that happened to you.

• Martelle
    Devoted July 2019
    Martelle ·
    • Flag

I heard the same thing....and my solution was to cut a slit in a huge cardboard box and wrap it up. The only way in and out of the box was through an un-openable slot up top and you would have clearly been noticed if you tried walking out of the venue with the thing. We had no problems all night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles