We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katie
Dedicated May 2021

Can’t help but to feel sad

Katie, on June 18, 2020 at 7:35 AM Posted in Community Conversations 0 10
Saved Save
As many of us, my wedding was postponed from June 20 2020 to May 15th 2021. This week
Would have been filled with pure happiness if it was not for the events that have been taking place since March. I know I can’t change anything and that I need to move on and be happy that I am still getting married to my best friend in 11 months. I keep thinking about all of the things I would be doing this week. I see friends on social media that are still having their weddings in July and I can’t help but to be jealous and discouraged. I have been with my FH for 9 years as of this Sunday; we were so excited about our wedding.

Anyone have advice on how I can bring some happiness as my original wedding date comes this weekend?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Lynnie, on June 22, 2020 at 3:19 PM
  • Chelsea G
    Devoted June 2021
    Chelsea G ·
    • Flag
    Make sure you CELEBRATE that day. Buy some balloons and a cake and a nice dinner to celebrate your love and the date. If you can/feel comfortable get a hotel room for the night as a little getaway Smiley smile
  • Nefetera
    VIP March 2015
    Nefetera ·
    • Flag
    You and your FH can celebrate amongst the both of you at home with dinner cake and wine ....and ...take a few photos...it will make you happy
  • Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I'm so sorry you had to postpone!! My wedding is currently scheduled for end of July, though we are seriously talking about postponing as well, so I understand the sadness that comes with the original date. You could always plan a mini vacation for around your original date, or at least a date night with your fiance. Maybe see if your photographer is available to do another photo session on your original date, so that you'll have pictures of you and your fiance from that day. I am also curious to hear about what other ideas everyone else comes up with for you. Hoping you are able to make your original date a happy one!
  • Belle
    Rockstar August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    I felt terribly upset when I know I had to postpone. I needed a couple days to grief and cry. Today I feel “okay”. I think once we rebooked the venue and flights, I feel better. I plan to still keep my original date to do the cake cutting, and the reception. Only the ceremony will be postponed. We will do anniversaries on the original date as well. I hope you too feel better soon.
  • Reena
    Expert February 2021
    Reena ·
    • Flag
    I understand this feeling. My fiancé and I postponed to February 2021. It’s hard watching everyone still get married this summer.

Just remind yourself the reasons why you two postponed. That usually snaps me out of my disappointment. Also limit your time on social media. Still celebrate the day! Hugs...hopefully once this week goes by you can start feeling excited about May 2021
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

I agree with pp that said celebrate that date!

it's still a beautiful date in your love story

• Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

We eloped on our original May 2020 date with just our parents and a few close friends and pushed our wedding and reception back to June 2021. If it's any consolation, our elopement really didn't FEEL like a celebration with everyone so socially distant - it was awkward and disappointing. Your friends having weddings now may be getting married, but their events likely won't look or feel like what they planned. Postponing increases the likelihood that when you marry your best friend it will truly be and feel like all that you imagined.

Definitely celebrate your original date. I recommend whatever you do making it just the two of you - your wedding is about your love and your commitment to one another and really doesn't concern anyone else. Use your original date as an opportunity for a very private and personal celebration, and celebrate with your other loved ones next year on your new date.

• Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha ·
    • Flag

I am sorry you had to postpone, congratulations on the coming anniversary. I agree with everyone saying you should celebrate it, make it special because it is. Make it a day for the two of you.

• Rebecca
    Rockstar August 2019
    Rebecca ·
    • Flag

Take a day for the two of you and have fun.

It is important to find the joy - and to grieve the loss of the day - and also to put aside some time for just you and your FS. Being cooped up together can sometimes make it hard to remember to actually be present with each other. Have a "picnic" in your backyard, or watch your favorite movie. Give yourself a special night!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Administrator October 2016
    Lynnie ·
    • Flag

Thinking of you Katie!! I hope you guys had fun this weekend and did something special! Smiley heart

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics