Hi. I'm going to try to keep this as short as possible because it's a long messy story.
My fiance and I thought we were going to have to cancel our wedding this year due to unforeseen circumstances. We worked our way around the circumstances buuut then COVID-19 hit and we were going to need to reschedule anyways. The venue knew of the cancellation but I was able to recover that dilemma and have the date postponed. (Wedding date was supposed to be May 2nd) Here's the thing...we went through absolute hell with the venue. The way they handled the postponements due to the virus was absurd. Things got messy and heated, going back and forth with the venue for days after they gave our new date away. It got dramatic. My fiance was fuming mad about the way they treated us. We finally settled on a date but it left a bad taste in my mouth. My fiance and I actually said screw it and found a new venue for next year (2021) and booked them. Now I have to cancel the drama venue again. (If you've read this far, thank you)
So, my question is about the money. Originally we were having a Saturday wedding which was a $12k rate for Saturday's. We're now signed to a Friday wedding date which is their $7K rate. We've paid $8,500. After I threw a fit because they were going to make us pay for a Saturday rate ($12K) after they forced us into a Friday which is thousands cheaper....they said they could use the additional amount towards us using their prop room and bar buy out.
If I email the venue and 100% cancel our new postponed date...do you think they can charge us the remaining original amount ($12K) or would they actually owe us for the "technical" over-payment for a Friday date?
I ask because the only reason we were able to afford a new venue for next year is if we don't have to pay the remaining balance for the Saturday rate. I hope this makes sense. It's been such a headache and I don't want to deal with these people anymore. Any advice or insight?