We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Bennie
Beginner April 2021

Canceling my Dj/dancing due to Covid-19?

Bennie, on September 15, 2020 at 12:22 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 14
Saved Save
Hey everyone! First of, I want to send well wishes and happiness to every single person during this trying time.

So as the title of this discussion suggest, does anyone think it’s a good idea for me to not have a DJ and dancing at my reception? My wedding is planned for April 2021 so I still have some time. My fiancé mentioned that he’s concern about people dancing during the reception that could make social distancing a bit harder. I’m not sure what we should do since we’re planning a guest list of about 50-75 people. There will be a photobooth for entertaining but I’m afraid that without a DJ, it might not be such a great wedding reception? The alternative to a DJ is just playing background music for it to be kind of like a fancy dinner party. Any opinions and/or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

14 Comments

Latest activity by Kari, on September 16, 2020 at 1:43 PM
  • Melle
    Rockstar June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    Hmm well, a DJ can still be rather beneficial if you have other things like if they also act as an MC and you still have the dance floor to do things such as playing games
  • Jessica
    Rockstar September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t have dancing at our wedding and just played a playlist in the background, which worked out fine since it was in the morning. Our venue didn’t allow any dancing except first dance and parent dances, but our photographer said he did a wedding the weekend before ours that they allowed for couples on the dance floor at a time. He said the venue really struggled to enforce it, but it was the only solution the couple and venue could come up with to work around the restrictions. You still have some time, but I think it really comes down to what kind of atmosphere you want. Like you said, background music could make out feel more like a fancy dinner party and could result in people leaving earlier than you may want them to.
  • Sabrina
    Dedicated September 2020
    Sabrina ·
    • Flag
    Congrats on your pending wedding!

I would say definitely wait to make that decision. We don't know if there will be a vaccine or not or what the world will be like come April. You have plenty of time to decide. We are having dancing at our wedding and we get married this SUNDAY! YAY!
    Best of luck!
  • Laurie
    Dedicated August 2020
    Laurie ·
    • Flag
    We kept our dj, he played background music throughout the reception. It was great!
  • Neeva
    Rockstar September 2020
    Neeva ·
    • Flag

We had a DJ and dancing with masks on. Few people danced and the dancefloor was big so people kept distance I think. Now of course, you have to decide whether you are all comfortable with this.

• Molly
    Rockstar September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

We kept our DJ with a guest list of 50. People used masks.

• Bennie
    Beginner April 2021
    Bennie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I was thinking of keeping the DJ for background music as well but I thought it would be better to have Bluetooth speakers playing instead of the DJ if the DJ is only going to be in the background. Thanks for your suggestion!
  • Bennie
    Beginner April 2021
    Bennie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Congrats to you!

I will wait until January to finalize it then.
  • Bennie
    Beginner April 2021
    Bennie ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I’ve always wanted a fun wedding that includes dancing and such but we’re also thinking about our parents and older guests. We still want the important people in our lives to celebrate with us but also trying to keep them safe. Thank you for your suggestion.
  • Eri
    Super October 2020
    Eri ·
    • Flag

I would definitely wait to make this call.

We canceled our DJ and are opting for a formal dinner instead of a party atmosphere/dancing. I'm trying to figure out bluetooth logistics right now and I hate it, lol. My preferred option is renting equipment, but am having a hard time getting a response. I almost wish we didn't cancel just so that we could have all the announcements and music taken care of, even though we just want background music - but I can't justify such a high price tag with that set-up.

I will say that anecdotally, some of my vendors have told me that for weddings they went to with DJs/dancing, there was very little regard for mask usage or social distancing - especially if there's a lot of alcohol. Your fiance's concern is valid.

But you definitely have enough time to see how things are looking next year. Fingers crossed!

• Tonilynn
    Dedicated September 2020
    Tonilynn ·
    • Flag
    We had one at our wedding recently and we danced our butts off! You have time do not cancel anything just yet!! I know your stress believe me I had to postpone once and then finally had my fairytale wedding!! It will be OKAY I PROMISE ... don’t jump the gun just yet
  • JM Sunshine
    August 2020
    JM Sunshine ·
    • Flag
    My daughter had 85 guests and maybe 15 were out dancing at any given time with masks on and distanced. We also had lawn games (like corn hole) for those not comfortable being on the dance floor.
  • Julie
    Dedicated October 2022
    Julie ·
    • Flag

I think it all depends on what you and your guests would feel safe with. maybe provide masks/face shields if you have dancing. if distancing is important to you, I would still have music at least! its your day so you make the rules! i personally am waiting til 2022 to have an event because of this, but i think so much could change from now until april. regardless, i would still have music to keep the energy and spirits up! maybe incorporate more games/entertainment that guests can enjoy while still distancing?

• Kari
    VIP May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

Whether or not people are able to maintain social distancing while dancing will depend on the size of your venue and dance floor, how many guests, and what types of dancing you have. If you have ample space, I wouldn't nix dancing entirely. Paired off couples are going to spend their time dancing together most of the time (they aren't distancing from each other anyway), I would just avoid dances that tend to encourage group interaction (no conga lines, for example).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles