AmyLeigh
Dedicated October 2009

Can we have tapas for dinner at a formal wedding?

AmyLeigh, on January 22, 2009 at 7:09 PM Posted in Planning 0 6
Saved

I am trying to decide what kind of dinner to have. We would like either a plated dinner or something between a plated dinner and a buffet (I do not wants guests getting up and serving themselves at a buffet). Would it be very strange to have a selection of tapas served to each table? I've been to quite a few tapas restaurants, and I love the idea of having lots of little dishes that are passed around the table. Is this too informal (our wedding will be formal)? Thoughts?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Karen Guyt, on January 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM
  • BeckiO
    VIP June 2013
    BeckiO ·
    • Flag

I've only been to a Tapas Restaurant once, would you be objected to Food Stations (there are servers) or doing even something Family Style? If I remember Tapas is kind of smaller dishes but family style. I know Maggiano's Little Italy does Family Style Portions which we had at my Grandparents 25th Anniversary and loved the idea. If you love the idea then go for it. It might be too informal for a formal wedding personally, but it's your Wedding. Do what you feel would make your meal choice you and your FH. The formal/semi-formal weddings I've been to it was plated and served to us (one gave choices and some like my hubby forgot what they put as their food choice). I think it's a nice way to give a variety without having guests choose between 2 main dishes.

• AmyLeigh
    Dedicated October 2009
    AmyLeigh ·
    • Flag

That's a good point. We are having an outdoor candlelit dinner. I was thinking of something along the lines of a few vegetable dishes (like filet-wrapped asparagus, fried hearts of artichokes stuffed with goat cheese, steamed rosemary and garlic baby potatoes, and stuffed peppers) and meat dishes (like 3oz filet mignon with cabrales blue cheese cream sauce and red wine, spicy marinated grilled brochettes lamb, etc) and then a few odds and ends sides. The menu would be pre-set and all dishes would be placed at the table. I've been to some fancy Los Angeles tapas bars, and that is what I was thinking of.

• Lisa  Hill
    Lisa Hill ·
    • Flag

It is your wedding and remember you will never be able to please everyone so have fun.

Family Style has taken a very popular turn currently right now, it keeps the cost to an affordible amount but is a bit more personal then a traditional sit down dinner. Also it is popular to have a themed dinner or the traditional food of your family heritage. Go for it enjoy your choice of meal.

• BeckiO
    VIP June 2013
    BeckiO ·
    • Flag

I think it's a great idea especially if you are giving your guests different choices that you have pre-selected. If you've been to some fancy upscale Tapas Restaurants then the idea of doing that for a Formal Dinner wouldn't be such a bad idea. Also if it is served, but can be passed around, guests can help themselves to what looks appetizing to themselves but yet not have to get up and choose. My only tapas experience was more casual at a restaurant with my family, but it's a great idea for a candle lit outdoor reception.

• Lisa & Brian
    Dedicated November 2009
    Lisa & Brian ·
    • Flag

My friends and I go for tapas quite often and I really like this idea...I don't think it's strange at all. Very cute idea!

I'm learning more and more ideas in this forum...I might just include some tapas myself.

• Karen Guyt
    Karen Guyt ·
    • Flag

Si!

Particularly if your reception is perhaps past the usual dinner hour. If it were me, I would have the guests get up from the table to get the food, though. It encourages mingling and dancing etc, if people are up & about. I went to a wedding at a very nice hotel in New Orleans that had a heavy appetizer selection instead of a typical hotel wedding meal or buffet & it was great fun. I would encourage you to note this on the reception card, however, so people know what to expect.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics