Erin
VIP September 2023

Camping for Accommodations

Erin, on July 20, 2020 at 12:05 AM Posted in Planning 0 19
Saved

Hi, my FH and I are tentatively starting to plan again. We found a great opportunity with a state park that is priced better than RMNP was, and provides a private ceremony. A lot of our guests are coming from out of state, and hotels in this area tend to be pretty expensive during the summer months, especially near the mountains.

I discovered that this park offers great prices for camping, and has a group camping option for up to 75 people at $364/night and would include everyone.

Would giving people that option be tacky or rude? A basic hotel will easily cost $200/night or more, and a lot of our invited guests aren't wealthy and costs might be a barrier to their ability to come.

A lot of our guests do enjoy the outdoors, but I don't want to offend anybody or cause an issue.

19 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on July 20, 2020 at 10:59 AM
  • Amber
    Beginner August 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    We have camping as an option at our wedding! Those that want space in the bridal party even due to Covid are opting for that option. We have a lot of outdoorsy friends too, but people have a choice on where they want to stay.
  • Erin
    VIP September 2023
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I'm glad to hear that someone else is doing it! That's honestly such a relief.

• Lisa
    Rockstar July 2022
    Lisa ·
    • Flag
    I listed a couple nearby campgrounds on our website as available nearby accommodations, along with our hotel room block. My wedding is also in an area where hotels are not cheap in the summer. My fiance and I both love camping, and a few of our guests are also campers, though we didn't reserve any campsites for anyone, just listed it as an option for those that were interested. I think that the group camping rate is a good idea, if you have enough people interested in it! Those that want to, can camp, and anyone else can book a hotel. It never hurts to have options.
  • Erin
    VIP September 2023
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That's a good point, thanks Smiley smile

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Sounds fun if you're having an outdoorsy theme and marrying on the property. Discuss your idea with your vip guests to get their feedback before you dive into that plan.
  • Jessica
    Devoted July 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    I would totally do this provided there was a space at the venue that I could get wedding ready - those campground bathrooms aren’t really great for getting all fancy.
  • B
    VIP July 2017
    Becky ·
    • Flag

I would list it as an option, but not plan on (or reserve) the group space, because people may not want to get dressed for a wedding at a campground (even if it's casual).

Are you going to have a separate space somewhere to get ready? I cannot even *imagine* having gotten ready for my wedding at a campground.

• T
    Super April 2021
    Tiger Bride ·
    • Flag

Are there Airbnbs nearby? FH and I are campers - legit tent camping, with campground showers with the concrete floors and crickets in the corners - and while I love it, I know a lot of people don't like it or can't sleep on the ground. Does the campground have cabins by any chance?

I think it could work for some but you'd need other options.

• Erin
    VIP September 2023
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    There are, but summer in the mountains they’re all exorbitantly expensive, and the buk of them are in Denver or Estes Park, neither of which are close enough to be useful. They do have cabins and yurts in other locations that can be rented for $90/night. We were not originally planning on securing anyone’s accommodations, so they’d have to find their own hotels or Airbnb’s if they wanted o e.
  • Erin
    VIP September 2023
    Erin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    All parts of the park have to be reserved ahead of time. So we either reserve it or we don’t. We’re also having a very low key wedding, and my getting ready will equate to putting my dress on.
  • A
    Super August 2020
    Alex ·
    • Flag

It is fine to give that as an option, but I'd definitely still let guest make their own decision and provide hotel information as well.

I would be very uncomfortable camping as my accommodations for a wedding.

• Rebelle Fleur
    Rockstar July 2021
    Rebelle Fleur ·
    • Flag
    I think this is a really cool idea. It could double as a family trip/outing for some. If I was a guest I would love this option.
  • Dj Tanner
    June 2021
    Dj Tanner ·
    • Flag
    I think you can definitely offer it because it’s not like it’s going to be the only option they have. But when you say camping, do you mean like actual camping with the tent or do you mean like renting a basic amenities cabin? My FH and I and our dog went camping once about five years ago. We slept in a tent. It started raining and our tent got flooded out LOL. my dog hated hearing all of the bugs on the outside of the tent and he slept in the car the whole night. Needless to say if someone like me was one of your guests, I would not be staying there. It’s also pretty expensive if they don’t have their own camping gear. So like I said, unless it’s a basic amenities cabin people like me wouldn’t do it, but it’s not to say that some won’t
  • Amber
    Beginner August 2020
    Amber ·
    • Flag
    I would say I got lucky because our camping is on site at the venue with a lodge available for people to get ready in.
  • Kimberly
    Super March 2021
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag
    I hate camping, but I also don’t have many friends or family that are big tent campers. I’d bet that you probably have a lot of friends that are into camping and would not be at all surprised by this for your wedding. I agree you should list other options as well, but I think this is a know your crowd thing and I bet you know yours pretty well. 😊 Go for it!
  • Martha
    Devoted February 2024
    Martha ·
    • Flag

I think you can mention this to them on your wedding website if you have one, gives them the option.

• Sexypoodle
    Master October 2021
    Sexypoodle ·
    • Flag
    Interesting idea! This would have never (ever) crossed my mind because I absolutely hate camping, lacking comfort/conveniences and the idea of purposely “roughing it”. Lol!!! And I know my guests would think I’d absolutely lost my mind listing a campground. HOWEVER, I realize that there are plenty of outdoorsy people. So if you believe your guests would enjoy something like that, certainly list it as one of a few options. That’s a definite “know your guests“ situation. If you happen to get 75 guests wanting to camp out for your wedding, that would be great for the discount. But I wouldn’t put a deposit down, in hopes of reaching that minimum.
  • Jessica
    Master September 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    We initially planned to host our wedding at a group campground with the option for everyone to camp there, but things didn’t work out. I think about 20% would have camped and the rest would have gotten hotels or vacation rentals. I don’t think it’s offensive to offer, no one has to take you up on it. We are getting married in Breckenridge, so I definitely understand the mountain costs. We let all our guests know when and where about 9 months out so they could start looking at travel costs and I know several made arrangements immediately.
  • Jessica
    Devoted July 2020
    Jessica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It sounds like this option will suit your wedding really well then. If you make the reservation, you might only get a few people taking you up on it so there’s a risk - but you could also try to sweeten the deal a bit for them. Maybe you provide a big cooler of beers, firewood, and s’mores bar for those staying there so they have a couple fun amenities to look forward to without coordinating amongst themselves.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics