Melissa
Dedicated March 2019

Cake cutting after intros

Melissa, on January 8, 2019 at 7:23 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 9
Saved Save
Hey all! Just wanted some opinions on this. Our DJ has on his questionnaire that he prefers to do the cake cutting right after the introductions, which is just my FH and I as we don’t have a wedding party. He says it’s a good time because you have everyone’s attention. Thoughts on doing it then instead of later on?

9 Comments

• Chandra
    Master May 2019
    Chandra ·
    • Flag
    My photographer was telling me she often sees people leave the cake cutting and that's why people choose to do it later in the night. So some people might leave right after dinner if you do it before.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I would think it was bizarre for the cake to be cut before dinner is served, but if it works for your timeline, go for it.

• Summerbride77
    VIP July 2019
    Summerbride77 ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I agree with this. I always like when the cake cutting ends dinner and the first dance opens dancing.

• Katie
    Master October 2016
    Katie ·
    • Flag

We did ours before and the first dance before. The mother of the groom and father of the bride dance we saved until after dinner then opened the dancing to everyone. We did this so that the staff would have time to cut the cake into pieces so guests could just grab a piece right after dinner. Our dance floor was pretty small and we didn't want a ton of photos of people not looking at us and eating during our first dance (kinda lame I know but it really did make a difference in the photos). Just a heads up if you do decide to cut the cake before just make sure you have a wet rag. I ended up with cake all over my fingers and I didn't have it all the way off by the time we were dancing so my husband and I were joking about my sticky fingers the entire dance.

• Melissa
    Dedicated March 2019
    Melissa ·
    • Flag
    I’m assuming they mean for us to cut the cake but that they won’t serve it until after dinner. The only reason I may do this is because our intro song is long and I really want the whole song played. Cutting the cake would take up most of the song.
  • Megan
    VIP January 2019
    Megan ·
    • Flag
    We did it after toasts. It’s weird to me to cut cake before dinner. It’s like look guys, we got cake!!! But none for you for another hour! I also don’t like the first dance after the grand entrance. I was so hungry I just wanted dinner as soon as possible. We did dinner, toasts, cake cutting, break to allow guests to get dessert, special dances
  • Yoice
    Rockstar March 2019
    Yoice ·
    • Flag
    I’m doing mine like this:
    introduction
    dinner
    speeches
    cake cutting
    first dance
    open dance floor

once everyone was in the dance floor I don’t plan on stopping for nothing! And I wanted to still look decent for the pictures of cake cutting.
  • Shay
    Expert February 2020
    Shay ·
    • Flag
    Yoice,yep yours sounds like the right way to go. Once I start dancing forgive me for those after pictures 😂🍷
  • A
    Master October 2019
    Angelena ·
    • Flag

I think cake cutting is often something that is very missed by guests because as soon as dinner is over people are walking all around especially if it's nice weather and areas outside for people to hang out. I always say I almost miss or have missed the cake cutting and it's one of my favorite things at weddings! So maybe this is why the DJ suggests that BUT ultimately it's your choice. You could do it right at the end of dinner when people are still seated. I personally am going the ensure our DJ extra announces our cake cutting. Maybe even give it a time stamp so people don't miss it.

Comment on this discussion