Amy
Dedicated July 2020

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free

Amy, on June 4, 2019 at 7:07 PM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 23
Saved
We are getting the chantilly cake from whole foods in several sheet cakes. This cake has better ingredients and flavor than a regular old cake from the store and is super affordable, and the guests will never see it only eat it. I am ordering a 2 tier cute cake for us to cut for under $20. We are also doing a trial first. And then I have also created personalized cake decor for a grooms cake that will be on the table as well. It has a ski theme. I was going to buy a grocery store taller cake and put the decor on. Done! No more stress!! I will post a pic of the tier cake

23 Comments

Latest activity by Andrea, on June 13, 2019 at 4:06 PM
  • Umgani
    Dedicated July 2019
    Umgani ·
    • Flag

Great choice - I love the berry chantilly cake! I've been known to get a slice while grocery shopping.

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    Thank you! It is so special and fresh for a summer wedding. I hope the guests love it. I just can't justify spending so much ($500 and up) on a cake. It actually isn't even my money but I just feel better about not doing it.
  • SraDeCarrillo
    Super August 2019
    SraDeCarrillo ·
    • Flag

They don’t do full sized sheet cakes do they? Is your tiered cake coming from whole foods as well?

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    They only do half sheet cakes. But I am ordering 2 to 3 depending on how many I think I'll need. We are hopefully just having about 90 people. Smiley smile the meals come with a sweets bar with cookies, brownies and some pastries. So I think that should be good if the slices aren't huge. They don't do tier cakes but they suggested buying 2 rounds and stacking them myself if I wanted to, but I'm just going to get one made at a grocery store called meijer. I'm going to attach some pics later.
  • SraDeCarrillo
    Super August 2019
    SraDeCarrillo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I’m trying to figure out cakes too. I refuse to spend a million dollars on a cake. We were going to go with stacked bundt cakes but are having second thoughts and exploring new options.

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    Have you ever tasted the chantilly cake? You can buy a slice or even a 5" round!! Also, the bundt cakes look so cute if your wedding is summer or even slightly rustic or whimsical. I'll look for a pic that I have saved I really like. I also thought about doing cupcakes for guests and a small cake for you to cut. A friend's wedding had cheesecake kinds too, so delicious!!
  • SraDeCarrillo
    Super August 2019
    SraDeCarrillo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I tried the Chantilly cake so many years ago. I remember liking it. We do have a romantic bohemian summer wedding so the bundt cakes do fit the overall feel. Today FH mentioned a small cutting cake with cupcakes so thats being considered as well. I love cheesecake but FH hates it. If it was only up to me we’d all eat cheesecake!

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don't know your theme but these are cute. You can practice the frosting style for something ahead of time and bring it as a dish

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free 1

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free 2
  • Laura
    Master October 2019
    Laura ·
    • Flag

I'm doing something like that. A 2-tier from either Walmart or Sam's club, then a sheet cake, maybe just a half a sheet even. It'll depend on the final count

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I dont like the two tier from Walmart and Sams. In my opinion they dont do a proper inch difference. When it comes to 3 they look alright but with two, they skimp out and use the 2 sizes that aren't supposed to go next to one another. Again, just my opinion! But that's the reason we aren't doing that. I'll share some pics below

• Michelle
    VIP December 2019
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I love their Chantilly cake!!

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    Everyone has a different opinion

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free 3

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free 4

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free 5
  • SraDeCarrillo
    Super August 2019
    SraDeCarrillo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Love the second one!!!

• SraDeCarrillo
    Super August 2019
    SraDeCarrillo ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

This is the exact reason why I didn’t want a walmart cake. BJ’s also does that with their tiers. One big layer and one super small. Plus they don’t offer much option when it comes to flavors.

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yes exactly! We're twins! A friend of mine got an all white 3 tier from Sam's and added a few flowers to it. It looked like a million bucks. It was strictly for pictures and to cut.
  • Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yum! The chantilly is almond, mascarpone, berries and vanilla cake.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag

Wow that sounds really affordable.

before i went to actual bakeries i went to grocery stores to check out their bakery section for cakes too, i don't think a lot of people know that they can get their cakes from there and it would still look like a wedding cake but for a more affordable price

• Cher Horowitz
    Master December 2019
    Cher Horowitz ·
    • Flag

Way to go, girl! You did a great job cutting cake costs. The guests are sure to enjoy the cake on your special day Smiley cake

• Amy
    Dedicated July 2020
    Amy ·
    • Flag
    This is a meijer grocery store cake for $16.99...it's been sitting there for forever so that's why it looks like that lol. But, they have choices in color, filling, frosting and style. I want to do all white with rosettes and maybe a plain top and add a topper I will buy, maybe some roses and babys breath to decorate it. This cake is strictly for pictures and for us to have a little tiny bite. Smiley smile please notice the difference between the two tier of the photo I posted from Sam's club. Yikes!

Cake advice from grocery stores. Affordable and stress free 6
  • Nicole
    Super October 2021
    Nicole ·
    • Flag

We're considering something similar and using Sam's Club! I can't imagine spending upwards of $500 on a cake lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics