Bryanna
Just Said Yes May 2020

byob Wedding?

Bryanna, on February 20, 2020 at 10:30 AM Posted in Planning 0 11
Saved
My fiancé and I are totaling up everything we have left to pay on by our wedding date and we honestly just can’t imagine how we could possibly afford to do buy alcohol for everyone. Our venue is very relaxed and would allow us to do a BYOB event but I’m so upset at the idea. I really wish we could afford to buy alcohol for everyone. Should we break our budget and pay for everyone’s alcohol? Or should we do BYOB. We don’t want a dry wedding. Several of our guests enjoy drinking and we’d want to at least offer them the option to bring their own.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Samantha, on February 20, 2020 at 11:22 AM
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag

I would have a dry wedding before I would expect guests to provide the alcohol. Could you afford to host beer and wine?

• Vannesa
    Expert October 2021
    Vannesa ·
    • Flag

That would be up to you. If you could break your budget and still afford things that you have to pay for everyday life then do it. You can also try and buy alcohol here and there when it's on sale if you want and stock it up for the wedding. But I wouldn't go in debt for it.

• Emily
    Expert September 2020
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Depending on how many guests and how chill people are, maybe approach specific ppl about the idea. Like if it's 50 ppl and you each have a "cool uncle", see if they'd like the idea of providing booze in place of a gift and y'all could thank them in the toasts. I know it's unorthodox, but that might be less likely to ruffle feathers than putting BYOB.
  • Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    If it’s byob you could probably buy some cheap wine or beer. In my culture we only put one or two bottles of alcohol per table so maybe think of something like that?
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    If your venue allows you to bring in outside alcohol, maybe contemplate the idea of providing just beer & wine. Kegs of beer from liquor warehouses and cases of wine from Costco could be an affordable option. Then you could inform guests that you will be providing beer and wine, and if they would like anything else they are free to bring what they’d like. personally, I would love the option to bring my own liquor to a reception! Lol I have very specific liquor I enjoy, and they are rarely offered at events. Plus, way cheaper to bring your own than to purchase by the glass!
  • Gen
    Champion June 2019
    Gen ·
    • Flag
    If your venue allows you to BYOB then if I were you I would buy some wine and beer in bulk at a liquor store and serve that! It’ll be waaay cheaper than however much they’d charge to buy it at the venue, and that way you’ll still get to treat your guests.
  • Kaitlyn
    Savvy August 2020
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Flag

I went to a BYOB wedding in the fall and there were some definite downsides with this idea. For one, it felt a little informal to show up to a venue with a cooler. There was also the issue of everyone getting too drunk too quickly as they had access to their own alcohol and drank too quickly. I would suggest taking advantage of liquor store sales! You can buy a few bottles every week so its not a huge payout all at once. Plus the liquor store will buy back any unopened alcohol you do not use.

• Sherry
    Master September 2019
    Sherry ·
    • Flag

I would have no alcohol before I would expect my guests to bring their own. What if you did a couple of signature cocktails or just beer and wine? If those aren't an option, I would definitely opt for no alcohol.

• Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

Could you cut back elsewhere? Why not do a slight BYOB in which you provide beer and wine but allow others to bring liquors if they want something more. It is a know your crowd thing if they would be cool with alcohol.

• Emily
    Devoted May 2021
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    I think it depends on your guests. My sister had a BYOB reception, and our family LOVED it and had no issue

For ours, we have 180 guests, and we are providing beer and wine ($400) and telling them that if they want to bring anything else they are more than welcome too. Some stores, if you buy wine from them, will let you return any unopened bottles so keep that in mind.
    I don’t see anything wrong with a BYOB reception though.
  • Samantha
    Devoted July 2020
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    This is similar to what we're doing. We're doing 2 signature drinks, beer, and wine and telling people to bring their own if they wish. It's really only our friends who will be drinking that much, so they're definitely not going to care about BYOB because they're partiers lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics