Terra
Expert September 2020

Busy Brides?

Terra, on May 20, 2019 at 3:49 AM Posted in Planning 0 7
Saved Save

Hi all, long time no post! I kind of just want to reach out to the busier brides, especially teachers.

I'm in school right now, spring semester just ended and I've got another two weeks before my summer courses start. I'm an ed major and I'll start my student teaching semester this fall. I haven't had the chance to do anything wedding related since spring break, when we booked the venue. I won't be getting anything else done for a bit just because of timing/finances/the hell that is condensed summer courses. I'm... pre-stressed. Between student teaching and working, I'm already worried, but I just realized this fall is the time I'm supposed to be getting a large portion of the wedding planning done. It just flew by, we had almost two years and all of a sudden half a year has gone by since we got engaged and now I'm seeing how inconveniently I've scheduled myself.

How are y'all holding up? How do you balance life and wedding? And to teachers, what advice can you give a lil ed major trying to juggle it all? I'd been looking forward to doing all of this for such a long time, but it's starting to seem more like another chore on my already crammed list and we're not even that far in.

7 Comments

• C
    VIP January 2019
    Cassidy
    I worked 2 jobs(subbing and waiting tables), worked on my masters, and planned a wedding. We were engaged a year! It was rough, but I survived. I was working on my masters in teaching. (Also has summer classes, 4 of them 馃槼)
    I was SO glad I decided to get married when I did, 2 weeks into student teaching. I don鈥檛 think I could have handled wedding planning plus student teaching.
    I gave myself breaks from school work to look at wedding stuff. I also got a lot done on breaks, Christmas, fall and summer break. Don鈥檛 worry if you don鈥檛 have stuff done by the timeline on here, it鈥檚 just a guide as long as you have your big stuff checked off, I think youll be fine.
    Dont overload yourself with DIY projects. Pick a couple you know you can work on overtime.
    It sounds like you already have a date, but I鈥檇 suggest either getting married before student teaching or enough after that wedding can take a back burner for those few months.
    You are going to have to do a lot of prioritizing and multitasking. Quality time with my husband was spent on the couch while he watched tv and i worked on homework or researched wedding stuff. It wasn鈥檛 fun, but I didn鈥檛 have free time to do stuff.
    Oh and don鈥檛 stress over little things (wedding related) because at the end of the day THEY DONT MATTER. I was so stressed about finding decently priced floral centerpieces until one day I realized no one will care. I decided on something nonfloral and moved on. It saved myself a lot of time and I could worry about more important things.
    good luck, you鈥檝e got this!!
  • Cortney
    Dedicated July 2019
    Cortney

I work full time now, I go to law school part-time, I have a 4 year old son and I am planning our wedding! We are getting married in July after what will have been 1 year of planning. It has definitely been a lot to juggle - that's for sure! What I have found that helps is trying to get as much wedding stuff done in one day if possible. Like if you know you have a free day off coming up, plan to try to do as much as humanly possible for the wedding that day so that you can cross a bunch of things off at once. It made for a lot of busy days off for me but that way I was able to focus on school and work and not have the nagging feeling that I was falling behind in wedding planning. But also, just take it one day at a time! You've got this!

• Lauryn
    Savvy June 2019
    Lauryn
    I'm a teacher at a child care center (2's), so I don't get a break once summer starts either! I'm also working on getting my CDA, planning a move to a different state, and my wedding is June 23rd!
    Suffice to say, I get you. I'm pretty much doing nothing but wedding stuff right now, but I desperately need to put together my portfolio for my CDA... Every time I start working on it, I just keep panicking about all the things I haven't done yet haha
  • Cassy
    Devoted September 2020
    Cassy
    I definitely feel you on this! I work full time and I鈥檓 also a full time medical assistant student, I鈥檓 doing my clinicals right now and I have an externship coming up that will be 40 hours a week! Thankfully I鈥檓 graduating in October. Once I graduate I鈥檒l be about 10 months away from the wedding so I鈥檓 trying to save a lot of the planning for then since I鈥檒l have more free time. I鈥檓 just hoping to get the venue, caterer and photographer booked within the next few months to get the big stuff out of the way.
  • Terra
    Expert September 2020
    Terra
    View Quoted Comment
    I'm hoping that losing all planning until next January isn't the worst thing in the world, it just stresses me that all of the advice online says to do a bulk of the planning stuff 9-12 months out, which is exactly when I'll be student teaching. 馃槄 And the fact that nobody else cares is really solid advice I've been trying to remind myself, haha.
  • Terra
    Expert September 2020
    Terra
    View Quoted Comment
    That's how we ended up booking the venue! I scheduled a tour for almost every day of spring break just so we could get it taken care of in the off time before life got busy again.
  • Terra
    Expert September 2020
    Terra
    View Quoted Comment
    Same here, I graduate next spring and with the abundance of free time I'll have that summer (comparatively) I'm gonna try to get as much wedding and curriculum planning done as possible. We've got the venue taken care of and know which caterer we want, but the other big things will have to wait a while. I'm banking on the idea that since it's a Tuesday wedding, the vendors I'm wanting won't be booked yet. Fingers crossed, lol.

Comment on this discussion