We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Kelsey
VIP September 2020

Brother/sister songs for a dance

Kelsey, on August 19, 2020 at 9:11 AM Posted in Wedding Reception 0 15
Saved Save

My FH has been looking into songs to dance with his sister to at our wedding. Their mom passed away in the early 2000s. The thing is most of the songs we have found on any list out their seem too gushy, I guess for them according to my FH. They fight a lot and right now they have more or less called a truce for the wedding. Does anyone have any ideas for a song for them to dance too? This is the last song we need and probably the hardest one. I know it's not up to me what song they dance to, just looking for some suggestions I can throw at my FH. Thank you!

15 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsey, on August 20, 2020 at 4:15 PM
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

My sister and I danced with my brother at his wedding. We danced to My Wish by Rascal Flatts.

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag

My first fiancee died and the one song that came out and reminded me of him...Drink a beer by Luke Byran (he was beer drinker)... but every time I hear it now it's like he's sending me his blessing.

Also recently I kinda fell in love with Memories by Maroon 5

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

That is very sweet! I will have look up Memories, I'm more of a country music listener. I just want him to find a song that he at least somewhat likes. Honestly, I think he would rather not but he also wants to because he feels it is what his mom would want him to do.

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Always hard to choose a song like that.. but maybe instead of finding a "new" song... they choose their mom's favorite song / band - That way it's like a tribute to her..

My dad loved Big Band, so I want to incorporate Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller into our wedding song selection. Most probably won't like it... but it's not about anyone else.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Thank you for the suggestion.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

I suggested something similar to that as well, picking from his mom's favorite movie which was Dirty Dancing. My FH more or less shot down most of those songs. I thought "She's Like the Wind" was ok, but he didn't care for it.

• Margaret
    Master October 2020
    Margaret ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Pick something upbeat from it. If you want them to dance, make it a "happy" dance like in tribute to her.

• Molly
    Rockstar September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag

My Best friend by Tim Mcgraw

I hope you dance by Lee Ann Womack

The house that built me by miranda lambert?

Through the years by kenny rodgers

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    Https://www.myweddingsongs.com/wedding-song-lists/sister-brother-songs/
  • Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

He was considering I hope you dance. He shot down Tim McGraw, plus my dad and I are dancing to Tim McGraw.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Yeah we went through that list the other weekend, he really didn't like any of the choices. Thank you though!

• Molly
    Rockstar September 2020
    Molly ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Listen to the kenny rodgers song. I had never hear it but it is pretty good!

• Jana
    Master October 2022
    Jana ·
    • Flag
    What songs does he like? You could keep it neutral rather than sentimental.
  • Lauren
    Savvy September 2020
    Lauren ·
    • Flag

I once went to a wedding where the brother and sister danced to fat bottom girls by Queen because they used to sing it in the car with their mom. I agree that looking for something sentimental is nice, but maybe something with a happy memory would be fun. Or maybe just pick something they can have fun with instead of the traditional slow dance.

• Kelsey
    VIP September 2020
    Kelsey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Unfortunately after a long discussion last night my FH doesn't want to do this, as much as he thinks his mom would like this and approve. The way the relationship between his sister and himself has unfolded in the recent months has not been good. I did have a discussion with my DJ who told me even we added this song the Friday before the wedding that is fine. So I have sent over the rest of the song list. Maybe things will improve when they see each other in person before the actual wedding, but as of right now my FH has decided he just doesn't feel comfortable dancing with her.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles