We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Katrina
Beginner November 2021

Bridesmaids - what did you help them buy?

Katrina, on February 24, 2021 at 10:56 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved Save

What all did you help your wedding party buy ?

I’m on a budget and is it weird to ask bridesmaids to buy their dresses ?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on March 3, 2021 at 5:01 PM
  • Karla
    Super February 2020
    Karla ·
    • Flag
    Pretty standard to have bridesmaid pay for their attire. Maybe ask each one individually what their budget is so that you can narrow down choices within that range?

I personally paid for their dresses, hair and makeup.
  • Molly
    Expert May 2022
    Molly ·
    • Flag

As pp, it's common for bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses. I have been a bridesmaids where I paid for it and another where the bride paid for it.

I paid for all of my bridesmaids dresses but that is also because I picked the color and style.

• Expert September 2021
    ·
    • Flag
    My bridal party will all be in different shades of pink and red, formal dresses of their choosing and they’re all paying for their own dress! I think it’s more rare to have the bride pay for your dress, in my opinion!
  • Ava
    Super May 2022
    Ava Online ·
    • Flag
    We will be paying for the bridesmaid’s dresses and groomsmen’s attire. We will also be paying for BM’s hair and makeup services.
  • Michelle
    Rockstar October 2022
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

It's normal/customary/expected for bridesmaids to buy their own dresses and accessories (jewelry, shoes, etc). They pay for their own makeup/hair unless you require a certain look that you will pay for, but typically the same stylists will do everyone.

• Addi
    Savvy October 2021
    Addi ·
    • Flag
    My bridesmaids will be paying for their own dresses! I tried to find reasonably priced ones and picked the color but let them choose the style they wanted.
  • Hanna
    VIP June 2019
    Hanna ·
    • Flag

It's usually standard for bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses. I selected a variety of bridesmaids dresses in the $125-150 range for them to choose from to keep things reasonable, and I told them they could wear any kind of silver shoe that they wanted. Some bought new shoes for the occasion and others wore silver shoes that they already owned. I paid for all of their hair and makeup, and allowed them to select any hairstyle and makeup look that they wanted. I have personally been a bridesmaid 8 times. The bride has always covered the cost of my hair and makeup (this custom varies in different social circles), but I always bought my own bridesmaid dress.

• MLS
    Dedicated September 2021
    MLS ·
    • Flag
    I'm providing accessories for my bridal party. For my bridal party hair and makeup (professionally done) is optional. However all of them want hair and makeup professionally done. So they'll pay for their hair, makeup and dresses. But it all varies group to group.
  • Katrina
    Beginner November 2021
    Katrina ·
    • Flag

Thank you guys so much this has helped me a lot !

• Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    It really depends on you- are you wanting a certain look & what you can afford.
    My ladies paid for their dresses, I’m paying for hair & makeup for me, my MOH & a bridesmaid (other bridesmaid wants to do her own). I’m doing that as a gift not because I want a certain look. As part of their thank you gift, I bought earrings & a bracelet to go with their dresses.
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    It's quite common for the bridesmaids and groomsmen to purchase or rent their own dress/tux/suit
  • Connie
    Dedicated December 2021
    Connie ·
    • Flag
    I've never known a bride that paid for her BMs attire, but that might just be my social circle. I picked out dresses that are less than $100 and am letting my girls pick a style they are comfortable in. They are gonna wear whatever shoes they want, and do their own hair and make up.

I think the only thing i will be buying for them is food the day of the wedding and a small gift for each of them.
  • E
    Dedicated September 2022
    Erin ·
    • Flag

My BM's will be paying for their own dresses, I created a "Showroom" on Azazie that I can add them all to and they will be able to select which dress they want in the color I want them in, the dresses range from $70-$180 so they are in control of how much they spend.

I will be paying for them to have their hair and make up done day of if they wish to have it done professionally.

• Jaclyn
    Dedicated December 2021
    Jaclyn ·
    • Flag

My bridal party are my 2 sisters and my fiance's 2 sisters. When I asked them if they wanted to be a bridesmaid I let them know upfront that I can't afford to pay much and I didn't expect them to pay a lot of money. I told them they can pick out their own dresses the only thing I want is a black floor length dress which is easy to find and that if they want to do their own hair and make up that's fine or if they want to pay for hair and makeup themselves that's fine too. I am not requiring a certain look but to just keep it pretty and simple. I did just buy them the jewelry I wanted them to wear.

• L
    Lady Online ·
    • Flag

I paid for their dresses and hair, and makeup if they wanted it. I know it's very common for BM's to pay for most of those things themselves, but I've never understood why and personally think it's kind of tacky.

If you're going to ask your BM's to pay for their own dresses, then you definitely should ask everyone budget (individually) before, and then find a dress that fits in the lowest budget you're given.

• Melle
    Legend June 2019
    Melle ·
    • Flag
    It’s not weird to ask them to get their own dresses ! However I did let any of them know that I’m here to help if they can’t afford it
  • Michelle
    Devoted April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag

I paid for everything for my MOH and the other ladies paid for their dresses, jewelry and shoes. I bought custom belts to be added to their dresses and i paid for that. I am also paying for everyone's hair and makeup as well.

• S
    Devoted November 2021
    Sara ·
    • Flag

I will be paying for my bridesmaids' hair, makeup, and nails, but they will be paying for their own dresses.

• Melody
    Devoted April 2021
    Melody ·
    • Flag

My ladies are paying for their own outfits, but I'm also super lax about what they wear. They can do a dress or pants/nice top and it just has to be mostly red (black as the accent color if it isn't only red). I don't even care if they use something that's already in their closet and don't spend money on something new. Our budget is really tight and we also just want people to be themselves.

• Antoinette
    Savvy March 2021
    Antoinette ·
    • Flag
    No. Mine bought theirs. I bought their jewelry

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics