Porterpoppin
VIP March 2019

Bridesmaids vs Maid of Honor dresses

Porterpoppin, on March 17, 2018 at 3:30 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 24
Saved

Curious on if you had your bridesmaids and maid of honor wear the same dresses, same colors, same style?

My colors are burgundy and champagne. Part of me wants the bridesmaids and maid of honor to all wear burgundy but they could have on different dresses (im all about what fits your body type and makes you feel good)..just as long as they're the same color.

On the other hand I've seen where the MOH is in a different color dress and the bridesmaids are all in the same color. So MOH in burgundy and bridesmaids all wear champagne. Or would this look odd?

I have 3 bridesmaids and of course 1 maid of honor. We're going to try on dresses in 2 weeks so I'm sure this will all be sorted out then but just curious on what you guys did??

24 Comments

Latest activity by Christina, on January 12, 2021 at 11:02 AM
  • O
    Master October 2017
    O ·
    • Flag
    To me it looks odd when the MOH is in a different color, but nothing wrong with it-just a preference. What does your wedding party think?
  • RZ_ToBe
    Master July 2018
    RZ_ToBe ·
    • Flag
    I gave all of my girls 2 color options and let them pick their own dresses. We all went together to pick out my dress and they browsed while they waited for me to change. I managed to pick my dress 30 minutes into our appointment, so we spend the next 30 having my girls try on theirs. Each picked a different dress and it happened to be that the MOH chose one color and the rest chose the other. Worked out and they all look really nice together. Every lady has a dress for their body type and comfort zone, but the colors unify them and make them stand out.
    Expert May 2018
    2018wedding ·
    • Flag
    My MOH will be wearing the same dress and color. Everyone was like she should be different.. but nope. If anything she will have a slightly different bouquet.

I don’t think it will look odd at all. I think gold and burgundy go together.
  • Mr&MrsSmith2018
    Dedicated July 2018
    Mr&MrsSmith2018 ·
    • Flag
    My colors are teal and gold. So my bridesmaids are wearing teal and my moh & matron are wearing champagne (no gold at db) but all the same gown. Groomsmen in teal vest, best man and FH in champagne. It'll be very beautiful. Just gotta do what'll work for you. Its your wedding.
  • Sharod & Mila's Wedding
    Dedicated September 2018
    Sharod & Mila's Wedding ·
    • Flag

My Matron of honor is in one style dress, the maid of honor is a different style and then the bridemaids have their own style. They are all the same color but different enough for people to distinguish their different roles.

• Ella Marie
    Devoted May 2019
    Ella Marie ·
    • Flag
    Nope all my girls, MOH and bridesmaids will all be in the same color....slate blue. All long but they can choose whichever long dress they would like.
  • S
    Dedicated June 2018
    Sara ·
    • Flag
    Mine are all in the same dress same color but I got my moh a hair comb to wear and a necklace. The dresses are illusion neckline so non of the other girls will have necklaces or hair pieces.
  • Kaylyn
    Super May 2019
    Kaylyn ·
    • Flag
    I’m going to have my bridesmaids in any sage dress they wants that is long, and my MOH can do a long dress in sage or copper.
  • Miaaa
    Super January 2018
    Miaaa ·
    • Flag

All my girls were in the same color (hunter green) but different styles. My MOH wore a sparkly belt and a hair piece to make her stand out.

• Fjdkfkvkdkskp
    Dedicated September 2017
    Fjdkfkvkdkskp ·
    • Flag
    Mine will all be wearing the same color but i think that’s a cool idea!
  • E
    Expert October 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    Same colors for our wedding too! I let my bridesmaids and MOH pick their own dress. I just asked that it be the same color with some lace detailing. But it depends if you love the way it looks
  • Shai
    VIP August 2018
    Shai ·
    • Flag
    My colors are lavender, silver and white. My bridesmaids will be wearing lavender and my MOH will be wearing silver the dresses aren’t the same but they complement eachother and are styled alike.
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    They've all said they're open to see what it looks like but I'm thinking all one color sounds the best
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Maybe I'll do something like that just have to find what something to make her stand out a bit
  • Sara P.
    VIP October 2018
    Sara P. ·
    • Flag
    All of my girls are wearing the same color, length and fabric. I let them choose the style so they could be comfortable.

I've seen it where the MOH wears a different color and I think it can look nice. In your case, I would be the MOH wear the champagne color and have everyone else in the burgundy.
  • E
    Savvy August 2018
    Emily ·
    • Flag
    My girls ended up getting the same dress and same color. I LOVED the pallet idea though with the same dress, and I was open to my ladies getting different dresses (same length and color though), but we all ended up loving one dress in one color.
  • Bailey
    Super March 2019
    Bailey ·
    • Flag
    My girls will all be in the same color, but they can choose what style they want (probably will request it be long though).
  • Aliah
    Devoted September 2018
    Aliah ·
    • Flag
    My wedding colors are royal purple & charcoal/silver. I have a maid of honor, matron of honor & 3 bridesmaids. I ran into a similar issue where my honor girls wanted to look apart from the other girls & attempted to pressured me for them to wear silver dresses (but that was what the mom’s were wearing). Even though I wanted my girls to all wear different style dresses with the same neckline since they don’t have the same body type the color was not changing from purple. I instead came up with a different color bouquet a blend of purple & white flowers for my honor girls, all white for my bridesmaids & mine all purple therefore they could still stand out but coordinate.
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Sage and copper will be very pretty together!
  • Porterpoppin
    VIP March 2019
    Porterpoppin ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Okay that's a good idea..different bouquets instead of different color dresses. I like that idea!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics