Diz
Dedicated October 2020

Bridesmaids gifts but didn't have a wedding?

Diz, on October 5, 2020 at 11:21 PM Posted in Etiquette and Advice 0 4
Saved
Covid bride here. I was supposed to get married in May, and we have since canceled my big wedding. I have 9 bridesmaids, and I had already bought their gifts (a traveling jewelry organizer and a candle that has a photo of us on it) as a thank you. I did get to have a bachelorette but only a couple of them could attend. I feel like just the jewelry organizer and candle is not enough. I was going to add a $10 gift card to Amazon or something, but now I don't know if I should since technically they didn't do anything, and I didn't have my wedding. Should I just do something extra for the girls that made it to the bachelorette?

4 Comments

Latest activity by Kari, on October 6, 2020 at 12:21 PM
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I mean I would not give them more but you can give them gifts. I was not sure early on if we were having a wedding but I bought a proposal box for my friend but ended up doing a ceremony with just my best friend who will be my maid of honor. I explained that if I were having a wedding I would love to have her as a bridesmaid and she appreciated it. I would give your bridesmaids something and say had we had the full wedding these are the wedding gifts I would have given you.

• Diz
    Dedicated October 2020
    Diz ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Yeah, if we had had the wedding it would have been a bit more. But since we arent... I'm just unsure.
  • Samantha
    Expert October 2021
    Samantha ·
    • Flag
    I always base gift giving on wanting to rather than obligation. If you want to give an extra gift because you know they will enjoy it and you wish to show generosity to your good friends then go for it. If it's just to fill an obligation then no.
  • Kari
    Master May 2020
    Kari ·
    • Flag

I think giving them what you already got them is fine.

I bought my MOH some earrings when she ordered her dress and had them shipped to her house. My husband got gifts for his groomsmen and they all purchased custom suits. Then Covid happened. I could no longer get my MOH the gift I was going to give her, her dress never came, neither of us had bachelor/bachelorette parties, and we ended up eloping and half of the groomsmen couldn't come due to gathering restrictions.

I don't think its necessary for you to spend more money to thank them for an obligation that was never fulfilled. Give them what you already have and that is plenty.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics