Cassi
Devoted August 2022

Bridesmaids dresses

Cassi, on January 5, 2021 at 8:00 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 31
Saved
Hey all! I’m wondering what everyone thinks-I hadn’t planned on purchasing dresses for my bridesmaids. I want everyone uniformed so we plan to find the girls on both of our sides of the wedding uniformed outfits. My fiancée isn’t girly so it won’t be dresses for her and the girls but she’s not boyish so it’ll be some classy suit deal I’m sure for them and for my girls it will be dresses. Are we wrong or tacky for not paying for their attire? Several of them already mentioned saving and planning for their dresses (in casual convo) and don’t remember anyone I’ve known buying bridesmaids attire. I’m just asking to be sure and get insight before officially deciding. I do plan to maybe provide jewelry. Especially something they can keep as a keepsake as well ♥️🥰😊

31 Comments

Latest activity by Cassi, on January 6, 2021 at 5:43 PM
  • Chrysta
    Master November 2022
    Chrysta ·
    • Flag
    We will be purchasing our wedding party’s attire. The way I see it is, I am dictating what they wear and it is for my event, so it only seems right that I pay for it. I know a lot of couples choose not to do this. Those people typically try to ensure what they choose for their wedding party to wear is very affordable. If you are not paying for the attire, you should not pick something expensive.
  • Stacey
    Super May 2021
    Stacey Online ·
    • Flag

I think the “norm” is for bridesmaids is to pay for their own dresses, so I don’t think you are wrong or tacky at all. However, I would discuss the budget with your bridal party so you know what price point they are comfortable with and then can be respectful of that as you look for dresses that fit your vision.

• V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

We didn't purchase anyone's outfits except for my husband's tux. My mom paid for my dress and veil. I spoke with my girls individually about their budget and made sure not to go over what they told me. Everyone wanted to stay at $200 or less. I will caution against making them all wear the same style. I did this and it was a huge mistake that I deeply regret. My sister, who was my maid of honor, told me seven days prior to the wedding that she hated the dress, but didn't originally tell me she hated it because she was tired of trying on dresses. She hated it so much she didn't want to be photographed even during the ceremony and wanted to change immediately after. I ended up going to David's Bridal and buying a dress in a different style in her size in the same color, length, and fabric. I had it shipped to her overnight and the seamstress was able to alter it within a day. I wish my sister would've have been honest about her feelings.

• Jasmine E.
    Expert May 2022
    Jasmine E. ·
    • Flag
    I think this depends on your country/culture. I feel the couple don't have to buy anyone else's attire. When you say yes to being in the wedding, you agree to take on a few costs such as the outfit and travel. If you can't afford it, say no.
  • Belle
    VIP August 2022
    Belle ·
    • Flag
    I don’t know anyone in my family or friends who didn’t pay for their bridesmaids attire. Dress, shoes, faux-jewelry set, mua & hair, 1 night shared hotel room, and food are usually provided. And the bridesmaids and groomsman usually help a lot, planning and during the wedding. Just like best friends would do to spoil their besties for one day. But the norm are different everywhere 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • Mrs. Spring
    Master April 2021
    Mrs. Spring ·
    • Flag
    The tradition is for the bride's family is to pay for the wedding party's attire if they are requiring something specific.
  • Pirate & 60s Bride
    Legend March 2017
    Pirate & 60s Bride ·
    • Flag
    It’s usually the responsibility of the bridesmaids to pay for their own attire (not necessarily shoes). If you want to require a specific hairstyle or that they get their makeup professionally done, then typically the couple pays for it.

I love the idea of jewelry as a gift! I’ve received jewelry to wear the day of and appreciated that way more than trinkets (water bottle, shot/wine glass, slippers, etc). But many people here will say the bridesmaids gifts should NOT be jewelry or gifts to be used at your wedding, but something bridesmaids would want.
  • Kristen
    Master November 2020
    Kristen ·
    • Flag

I have been a bridesmaid 4 times and every time I had to buy my own dress & shoes. At best I was giving some jewelry to wear day of by the bride but no bride every paid for my dress. My style I was allowed to choose but for two weddings I was told the color. Once I was just told to wear black but it was a low key, budget wedding. I think it depends on the bride and the culture because I have heard both ways but you are not in the wrong for them to buy their dress. I will say if they pay let them choose their style esp if they have different body types. Twice I was told choose whatever style but the other bridesmaids and I wanted to look uniform but we found something that worked for all of us.

• Yasmine
    Rockstar October 2020
    Yasmine ·
    • Flag
    All of our bridal party paid for their own attire, it's not tacky. I did purchase all of my bridesmaids shoes for our upcoming big wedding though. The groomsmen are paying for their outfits and their shoes (if they don't already have some)
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thanks for your insight!! Yes I most definitely am not going to pick anything out of their budgets. I know they’re lives pretty well and even still there’s so many pretty and affordable options I wouldn’t even think about not doing something reasonable. I plan to keep them in the loop so they have a day so of some sort as well. Like maybe vote on like 3 different of my favorite styles or something 🥰
  • Michelle
    Rockstar April 2021
    Michelle ·
    • Flag
    We didn’t pay for anyone’s outfits. My sister scored a dress for $30 that was on clearance, my daughter got hers for $65 & my other bridesmaid got hers for $100. I’m letting them choose the style (as long as it’s long & in a certain color). I’ll be paying for our (except for one who wants to do her own) hair & makeup which is around $450. My MOH & my daughter (bridesmaid) will cover the tip.
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!!! I am most definitely going to discuss budgeting with them, I had to miss out on 2 of my best friends weddings in the past bc I couldn’t afford them at the time. I will definitely consider that with them! 😊♥️
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Oh wow!! That’s something I didn’t consider bc I wanted everyone to be uniformed and wear the same thing. Thank you for that. If I find 3 styles that I like I’ll let them decide between them if they all like different ones at least it’ll be options that I am okay with 🙂 thank you!!
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! 🤗🥰I think it should be as simple as that as well 💪🏽
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Same, I don’t think I know anyone who didn’t pay to participate in a wedding. I was like let me ask just to see where the normal individuals head is at-looks like I’m normal too 😂😂thank you for your input!♥️
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! I will be paying for their makeup and I don’t require specific hairstyles.I would like to go barefoot since I’m having a beach wedding 🙂 I thought jewelry would be a more sentimental and beneficial gift other than the typical things. I like to personalize things so I’ll find some other gifts to add I’m sure ♥️
  • V
    Champion July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

You're welcome Smiley smile I never thought something like that could happen either so it was a huge mess to deal with and I would never wish that on another bride.

• Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you!! That was my only thing, they’re all different body styles but at the same time similar-but they all have a different type of confidence. So I was like I want to find something everyone is comfortable with 🙂 thank you!!🤗♥️I think I’m going to go with finding my top 3 favorites within everyone’s budget and letting them choose their style. That way we all get what we want and I If everyone hates them all then I’ll start over until everyone finds one they like🥰 might be time consuming but I think it’ll Be worth it 🙏🏽
  • Cassi
    Devoted August 2022
    Cassi ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Thank you! Everyone has been so reassuring, I love it lol 🙌🏽♥️🥰

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics