WoodlandBride
Savvy October 2018

Bridesmaid weight loss, dress dilemma

WoodlandBride, on September 5, 2017 at 6:09 PM Posted in Wedding Attire 0 20
Saved

One of my bridesmaids had been dieting for a while and had been doing amazingly. Kinda early on I know but we were out shopping and have found lovely dresses for them, my issue is what to do about sizes. I've asked her and she wants to get one size smaller than she is now and use it as a goal rather than risk buying the right size now and then having to have it altered so much it looks odd. Its a very forgiving material but is quite slimline so I'm worried if she doesn't manage to lose the weight she won't be comfortable. There is no polite way to ask if she's confident she can do it though! I've never tried to lose weight so I have no idea how feasible going down one size in a year is, what I'm really asking is is that a reasonable goal?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Future Mrs. G, on September 6, 2017 at 6:28 AM
  • WoodlandBride
    Savvy October 2018
    WoodlandBride ·
    • Flag

This is the dress

• Robin
    Dedicated September 2017
    Robin ·
    • Flag

No need to buy so early!

• Teresa
    Super September 2017
    Teresa ·
    • Flag

If your date is right I think it might be a little too soon to get their dresses.

• Kayla
    Super November 2017
    Kayla ·
    • Flag

She has plenty of time to order the dress find out what the latest date to order is and she can order it closer to that date.

• WoodlandBride
    Savvy October 2018
    WoodlandBride ·
    • Flag

It is much earlier than I originally planned ( yes the date is right) but as we've found them now I figured I may as well get another job ticked off the list, its a department store so they're not likely to have them in for long as well

• MrsRushinin2018
    VIP September 2018
    MrsRushinin2018 ·
    • Flag

I'm getting married a month before you and don't plan to ask my girls to order their dresses till March. You've got time to wait a bit

• Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag

I would hold off for a couple of reasons.

1. It's rude to ask your friend that - whether you're aware of her dieting or not.

2. It's too early, you may change your mind about style or decide later on down the road you want something different.

3. Styles change as well and things happen. You really need to give it the breathing room. A lot can happen within the time you have.

• L
    Savvy September 2017
    Lynne ·
    • Flag

Wayyy tooo early to order them. Feb or March 2018 should be her goal

• K
    Beginner September 2017
    kaitlyn ·
    • Flag

She's got plenty of time to try and if a month out if she hasn't got down to her goal size she can order the right size. Usually dresses can be taken in/out at least 1 size.Bridesmaid dresses don't take as long as wedding dresses to come in/alter so give her till mid august.

• JJAF
    Super October 2019
    JJAF ·
    • Flag

I would wait to order the dresses

• WoodlandBride
    Savvy October 2018
    WoodlandBride ·
    • Flag

Lots of people saying to wait which I get, it is early. But the girls are all loving this dress and its a case of once the stock is gone that's it so its now or never for this one.

• WoodlandBride
    Savvy October 2018
    WoodlandBride ·
    • Flag

AmandaJHJ I did think of that, I'm paying for their dresses (standard in the UK) and am actually saving money as they are under budget. But what would u do with the extra dress?

• Munchkin9218
    Master September 2018
    Munchkin9218 ·
    • Flag

Just be aware that if you order this dress with well over a year before your wedding and then the you or the BMs find a dress they like better they will either have to wear these dresses or they will be out another amount of money.

Also if you order this early and any of the BM's backs out or something happens since you asked so early then you may end up with the sticky situation of someone being angry they paid for a dress they won't use.

Disregarding the weight loss entirely you're better off waiting just for those specific issues that COULD arise. A year is long time. Besides that isn't an out there style, chances are you will be able to find a similar dress down the line. Especially if its going to be ordered in a basic color like black.

If you absolutely HAVE to order it, let your BM decide what she wants to do. If she orders it in her current size it can always be taken in. I would wait though.

ETA: Just saw you are paying. So my comment about if someone backs out or something happens with your bridal party means YOU would then be out that money. you still need to ask what size she wants, if it doesnt fit her she will have to go out and find a dress in your color and just look a little different.

• StokedToBeASaucier
    Master September 2017
    StokedToBeASaucier ·
    • Flag

I agree with @Kayla, wait until closer to the wedding so she can decide what size works for her.

Edit: words

• MrsRushinin2018
    VIP September 2018
    MrsRushinin2018 ·
    • Flag

The dresses are absolutely beautiful and I completely understand you and your girls being anxious to buy them now, but there are so many variables that would make a little more sense to wait. Is there even a remote possibility of one of your BMs getting pregnant?

• Sheybuttah17
    Devoted September 2017
    Sheybuttah17 ·
    • Flag

My MOH did the same thing, she's lost weight before so I assumed she knew what she was doing. The alterations in the end were great, but ideally her going with the appropriate size would have been more ideal.

• Kimberly
    VIP March 2018
    Kimberly ·
    • Flag

Wait. There's no need to order them yet. She could go down multiple sizes, you never know. Order it true to size when you order it

• NinjaBride
    Super June 2018
    NinjaBride ·
    • Flag

It's up to her what size to order, not you. It may or may not be a reasonable goal depending on what her current weight is and how much she has to lose, one size does not sound unreasonable though. There is quite a bit of time before your wedding still though.

• KourtniJones
    Super April 2018
    KourtniJones ·
    • Flag

I would buy your dresses a little closer to your date (maybe 6 months out??). By then your friend will have a better idea of the size she needs. And let her order whatever size she feels comfortable with, as she probably knows her own body.

• Future Mrs. G
    VIP February 2018
    Future Mrs. G ·
    • Flag

Wouldn't even be thinking about this right now. You have way more than enough time to buy dresses. And bridal shops will probably tell you the same.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

WeddingWire celebrates love ...and so does everyone on our site! Learn more

Groups

WeddingWire article topics