Caitlyn
Dedicated November 2019

Bridesmaid just quit on me

Caitlyn, on May 21, 2019 at 7:18 PM Posted in Family and Relationships 0 6
Saved Save
One of my now former bridesmaids TEXTED me and told me she will be too busy to participate in my wedding. I asked her about 2 1/2 months ago. Our date is Nov 10th '19. Her mom has a birthday party the Friday before our Sunday wedding and there will be family in town. A few facts about us: we grew up together and I've known her at least 17 years, and we now live only 3 hours apart. I originally asked her father to officiate since he's a minister and our two families have always been close. We ended up asking our own church minister because he was too busy to attend the rehearsal. I also changed the rehearsal dinner date because she couldnt make it Friday. She didn't even have time to meet with me when I wanted to give her her bridesmaid proposal gift. I guess I'm just really disappointed since, aside from my sister, she was the one girl I knew I wanted with me on my big day, and now there's no point in even sending her an invitation. I had a hard enough time thinking of who I could ask, and now I have to come up with another. He has 4 men, and it will drive me insane if it's an uneven number.

6 Comments

• V
    VIP July 2019
    Veronica ·
    • Flag

I'm so sorry. I had 3 bridesmaids drop out. One due to not knowing if she would have the money to even attend the wedding and she lived 30 minutes away, my maid of honor because she thought I expected her to pay for a ton of stuff because she was ignoring my text messages and phone calls, and one because she was supervisor at work and I ended up being fired. She was not the one who fired me, but she felt uncomfortable being in my wedding because I was fired and she still works there so I completely understand why you're upset. If you feel you must replace her is there another friend or even relative that would be willing to be a bridesmaid? Personally, I wouldn't replace her just to have even numbers unless you have another person that you really want by your side. I did a combination of replacing people and changing people's roles. My sister is now my maid of honor instead of a bridesmaid. My sister-in-law took her place as a bridesmaid. The wife of one of our groomsmen is now one of my bridesmaids as well. I had originally wanted both them to have some type of role in my wedding, but I had wanted even numbers as well and couldn't have them so because the others dropped out I was able to include them. I honestly should have gone with them to begin with because I have a closer relationship with both of them. One of my original bridesmaids I had gone back and forth in my mind about whether I wanted her in the wedding because we weren't as close as we used to be and she wasn't always the most reliable. She proved me right when the night before we were supposed to meet up and go dress shopping I texted each bridesmaid to confirm time and place and she completely forgot and couldn't come. My mother had also warned me that about the bridesmaid I was back and forth with and she also was concerned if I was making a good decision about having the person I originally choose as my maid of honor. Sadly, my mom was right and I learned the hard way.

• Renée
    Devoted March 2019
    Renée ·
    • Flag
    That’s sad that she backed out after changing things to accommodate her. I’m sure you’re feeling like it’s not important to her and you value your relationship more than she does. That’s never easy. I’m really glad she gave you 6 months notice though and hope you come up with someone else if you need numbers even!
  • Rachel
    Devoted November 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    We’re almost date twins!! Mines the 9th!
  • Soon2Bmrsp
    VIP May 2019
    Soon2Bmrsp ·
    • Flag
    It can be uneven, mine was and it was fine..you don't need to replace her and sorry she not being a friend
  • Caitlyn
    Dedicated November 2019
    Caitlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I wanted the 9th so bad! But everything was booked up once we started planning, which was only 1 month after our engagement. What are your colors and style?
  • Rachel
    Devoted November 2019
    Rachel ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We are doing an outdoor rustic wedding with purple and grey as our colors Smiley smile

Comment on this discussion