We're here to help you keep moving forward, no matter what your plans are.

Haley
Dedicated August 2021

Bridesmaid backed out

Haley, on January 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM Posted in Planning 0 24
Saved Save
Hi guys! So I have a problem. My FHs sister backed out of being in the wedding and pulled her 3 kids out too! Should I find people to replace them or just rearrange the wedding party some how?

24 Comments

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    Your wedding party should be your nearest and dearest, they shouldn’t be replaceable.
  • Kaysey
    Super February 2020
    Kaysey ·
    • Flag

I think it's personal preference. I had a similar situation. My bother's wife backed out of being in our wedding in February. My FH and I decided not to replace her. We are both fine with uneven numbers. If you're okay with uneven numbers I'd say just rearrange the wedding party. If you don't like uneven numbers, and since your wedding is in August of 2021, you still have time to find people to replace them.

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    They are if the kids were one of the flower girl, the ring bearer, and a page princess ( sign holder ). And I need another bridesmaid to match the 5 he has cuz now I only have 4, so yeah they can be replaceable.
  • Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We hate uneven numbers. I had a vision.. it was suppose to be 6 girls.. 6 guys.. 6 kids.. and married on the 6th.
  • Kaysey
    Super February 2020
    Kaysey ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

Then I'd say 100% find replacements for them. It's your day and you should make your vision of your perfect wedding day come to life. I think bridal party numbers are 100% personal preference. The uneven numbers don't bother me and my FH so we didn't find a replacement for my bridesmaid that backed out, but since you do not like uneven numbers I'd say find more people Smiley smile

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I gotta find more friends first ha. Everyone I'm close too is already in my wedding.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    • Flag
    It looks like you still have plenty of time. Normally you don't ask this far ahead because relationships can change. If you have someone else that you consider closer then you could ask them, but I wouldn't have asked anyone this far ahead.
  • Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    We asked last year.. and the reason we did was because we are going dress looking in may 2020. Plus we have everything booked for our wedding already. There is nothing wrong with being prepared and being excited. The reason she backed out is for childish reasons.
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

There is definitely nothing wrong with being prepared, but because relationships and circumstances can change it would have been better for you to wait to ask.

• Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    So why did you ask if you don’t want anyone’s input? No one wants to be a replacement bridesmaid because your other friend didn’t work out.
  • Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I would have to disagree with that. She only backed out because she is mad at her brother. Whatever I will replace her if she wants to be childish.
  • Dulaney
    Savvy June 2021
    Dulaney ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I don’t think you should have a “back up” bridesmaid. Obviously you will have to find a new flower girl and ring bearer, but I think you should just adjust as far as bridesmaids go. I also think it is slightly disrespectful to whomever you would ask- they didn’t make the cut originally but now that someone backed out they’ll do???
  • Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Actually I asked if I should replace them OR rearrange the wedding party to make it work. I asked for that opinion.. not to tell me it was too early to ask people. You don't get anywhere in life if you wait till the last minute to do everything
  • V
    Master July 2019
    Veronica Online ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment

We can agree to disagree then. There have been plenty of brides who have asked their bridesmaids well in advance and they end up regretting it because their relationships have changed. Just because she is mad at him right now doesn't mean she will be when your wedding comes around. I'm honestly not sure why you asked our opinion as you seem dead set on replacing her whether anyone agrees or not.

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I actually don't have any other friends to ask.. technically I have 2 other flower girls.. I just need a ring bearer and a page princess to walk down with my page prince
  • Vicky
    Super January 2020
    Vicky ·
    • Flag

Maybe you should focus more on why your sister dropped out of your wedding than on finding replacements.

• Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    It is his sister, not mine. And I already know why. It is a dumb reason.
  • P
    Savvy December 2020
    Patty ·
    • Flag
    Lol make some New friends real quick and have them be apart Of your bridal party. Quantity over quality right?
  • Haley
    Dedicated August 2021
    Haley ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    Ha good idea!
  • Caytlyn
    Legend November 2019
    Caytlyn ·
    • Flag
    View Quoted Comment
    I didn’t even say anything about when you asked, although it has proven to be too early so...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles